Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend free PC fps games. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to play Crossfire and Combat Arms a lot long time back until they got infested with hackers and I just didn't have time in general. Since it's the holidays I'm looking for a good fun fps game as a timewaster when I get bored and has a rare/no amount of hackers, so what are the good free shooter games out there that are fit the bill and are similiar to crossfire/combat arms? Or if those two games have improved their anti-hacking systems and have a lot less hackers these days, let me know as I'd rather play them having played them before.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Alien Swarm

ReputationRep:
    Urban Terror and America's Army 3.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Another vote for America's Army - I haven't played it, but I have a friend who loves it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramdatta)
    Urban Terror and America's Army 3.
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Another vote for America's Army - I haven't played it, but I have a friend who loves it
    I used to play America's Army back in the day, it was a wonderful shooter. I downloaded the latest version the other day, out of nostalgia (and the fact I had a new computer ) and something didn't seem right....

I checked the online communities, and since AA3 was released, the playerbase has left in droves. Apparently the version was such a crippling failure most of the devs walked out on the project.

Just a word of warning mind; it's still tonnes better than Crossfire ever was :/ It's just nothing compared to its golden days.

ReputationRep:
    Sudden Attack. At least, I think it's free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Alien Swarm
    Since when is Alien Swarm an fps?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.quakelive.com/#!home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)
    Since when is Alien Swarm an fps?
    Its not, but its a shooter..........:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I cant seem to get quake live to work.

It doesnt like Chrome, and I've only tried it on IE9 beta. Mebe thats the problem :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)

It doesnt like Chrome, and I've only tried it on IE9 beta. Mebe thats the problem :dontknow:
    indeed that is the problem...
    install firefox and you will be away!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)

Quakelive works for me in Chrome. I used to use IE for it, but then I had some issues. Visited the site in Chrome and it just installed the plug-in that's intended for Firefox. Works great.

ReputationRep:
    wolfenstein enemy territory

ReputationRep:
    Warsow, very similar to Unreal Tournament with cell-shaded graphics.

ReputationRep:
    Alliance of Valiant Arms (A.V.A)!! It's probably the best fps I've played... imo, its better than combat arms and sudden attack...maybe even CoD. I haven't tried AA3 though ^^

Only problem with AVA is that it takes long to patch up...

ReputationRep:
    Doom.

ReputationRep:
    not free as such, but TF2 is only £3.50 until 6:00pm tommorow, and that's easily worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Quake Live seems to be popular

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about free games, but if you haven't played them you can pick up a bunch of the old half life mods like Counter Strike for example for really cheap on Steam. You can get a bunch of really good old games for like £3 on there, have a look.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.