Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So long story short, unless you want details then I will post some details. I injuried my knee last week and am waiting for an MRI scan in a month's time, until then I have to use crutches and a knee bace which obviously limit my mobility. I am not experiencing a lot of pain but I can't stand for long or walk for more than a couple of mins without feeling my knee is gonna give way. As a matter of fact, it is very wobbly and without the knee brace, it probably would give way every few steps I take. The trip to the hospital on the day of the incident was hell!!

So my question is should pull some sickies? The injury doens't really affect my work significantly althought there are certain things I won't be able to do at work. I work in technical support at my uni so it's sort of half the time sitting in front of a computer and half the time lending out equipment to students, walk around the area helping them with them using applications on computers, some physical duties such as moving things around, getting boxes / equipment to the right places etc. I am in 2 minds, obvioulsy, who doesn't want some free holiday? And I am sure if I ask, I could get a note from the doc, but I feel a little guilty just thinking about it. What would you do? It it very tempting expecially with all the cut back and stuff work has been very stressful and I have gotten very fed up with it and my eviil mind has since been looking for chances to screw them over, but still being a usually very responsible person, I feel bad as the injury does and doesn't affect my work.

ReputationRep:
    if it doesn't affect your work, go to work. if you don't like your job, either find ways to make it better or find another job.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the above poster. If you start taking regular days off sick they'll start taking note, where I work has a really strict policy about absence and more than 3 absences in 12months (regardless of length of days) means a review & referral to occi health etc etc. Plus wont you get paid less anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I guess my sort of concern is the amount of walking needed, for example last term, it was always manic and we constantly had to run around from one corridor to amother with barely any time for break, it's like anytime you wanna go to the toilet, someone stops you and you could never get away from it, but who knows what it's like next term? Maybe I will just see how it goes for a week or so. And I do get paid full for 4 months then half for 2 months or sth like that due to my years of service, but obviously I don't wanna just use it for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExTraP)
    I guess my sort of concern is the amount of walking needed, for example last term, it was always manic and we constantly had to run around from one corridor to amother with barely any time for break, it's like anytime you wanna go to the toilet, someone stops you and you could never get away from it, but who knows what it's like next term? Maybe I will just see how it goes for a week or so. And I do get paid full for 4 months then half for 2 months or sth like that due to my years of service, but obviously I don't wanna just use it for the sake of it.
    Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you feel better soon. I'd let work know about it, and schedule a meeting with the boss to discuss it, they ought to make allowances for what you can't reasonably do. Maybe get a note from your doc confirming that you can't stand or walk etc. to confirm to your boss that there are parts of your job you can't do.

A similar thing happened at a Saturday job I had once and although there were things he could do, the boss actually asked the guy to take sick leave as he didn't want to be responsible for any worsening of the injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExTraP)
    They will simply have to accommodate you and your injury until it fully heals, if it takes you longer to get about or you need to take a break because your injury is hurting you tell your employer! I'm sure they'd be willing to compromise and ensure that you were able to continue doing your job whilst at the same time ensuring they didn't make your injury worse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.