Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rupert Murdoch stole the Ashes... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

We (assuming your English) won the Ashes today. Nobody seems to know - nobody seems to care.

Remember back in 2005 when the whole country was united in happiness and enthusiasm for Cricket.

I blame the government and the bbc for allowing Cricket to be stolen by the contemptible evil that is Murdoch.

Express your anger.

ReputationRep:
    It's great, yes. But cricket is dull..

ReputationRep:
    We didn't win the Ashes, we retained them. And people who are saying cricket is boring don't really know what they're on about.

Cricket is boring crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    We didn't win the Ashes, we retained them. And people who are saying cricket is boring don't really know what they're on about.
    Surely it's just my opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutralmilkhotel)
    Surely it's just my opinion?
    But sadly many people jump to the conclusion that cricket's boring when they've never watched it for an extensive period or played it.
    This may not be the case in this instance with you, but most people jump on the "ooh it's so boring" bandwagon without giving it a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Then I must be one of the rare ones who got up at stupid o'clock every morning to watch every single test. Not only did I change my body time to match the local Aussie time, but I changed the atmosphere in my entire room; with my heating turned on full, wearing shorts and flip flops, drinking that vile alcoholic beverage called Fosters and most importantly cheering on every single boundary and wicket to stop myself from falling asleep. This my friend is dedication and I can tell you that it's been well worth it. At one point, I was even considering going to Australia with my friends to watch the boxing day test but as always I was short on funds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    But sadly many people jump to the conclusion that cricket's boring when they've never watched it for an extensive period or played it.
    This may not be the case in this instance with you, but most people jump on the "ooh it's so boring" bandwagon without giving it a chance.
    I've done both, and it just isn't my cup of tea. Rugby league is where it's at for me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, back in 2005, didn't the government make a decision to not protect free-to-air rights for cricket?
    I remember being mad about then, I'm still moderately pissed off about it now.
    You can't expect kids to get into sport if a lot of them are from families who can't afford Sky Sports (which is expensive!) and the like.

ON THE OTHER HAND...
    I guess the sports need to make money somehow, and TV revenue is very lucrative.

ReputationRep:
    Tim Bresnan is a tube and should be replaced by the mighty James Harris.
    If James Harris was playing then everyone would know that we'd retained the ashes and people wouldn't say cricket was dull.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't like people knocking cricket (but only those who haven't given it a fair go...)
    but hey, their hating it doesn't need to lessen my enjoying it at all

ReputationRep:
    We haven't won the Ashes yet - that requires a 3-1 in Sydney.

Then we'll break open the bubbly back in blighty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mittalmar)

We (assuming your English) won the Ashes today. Nobody seems to know - nobody seems to care.

Remember back in 2005 when the whole country was united in happiness and enthusiasm for Cricket.

I blame the government and the bbc for allowing Cricket to be stolen by the contemptible evil that is Murdoch.

Express your anger.
    If you're going to insist on using the word "stolen" are you going to put forward what it means to "own" something in the first place, given something can't be stolen without being owned.

ReputationRep:

Express your anger.
    I for one am very very proud!
    Now whats for dindins?

ReputationRep:

Express your anger.
    The BBC only have a limited budget and pretty much restrained. I feel sorry for the BBC as it is also not allowed to expand the worldwide service. Quite sad really. If the BBC is allowed to find other sources of funding and grow it's worldwide service for profit, it could use that to invest and buy rights for sports especially the ashes.

The blame is largely government. The previous administration.

Saying that, I have sky thus has sky sports. I still think I am getting bad value.

ReputationRep:
    Sky bought the rights to the Ashes, I love cricket, I HAVE Sky, So I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    We retained the ashes, didn't win them.

And it has nothing to do with the bbc since channel 4 were the last ones to show it on free tv back in 2005. Also doesn't help that itv4 don't have highlights of the previous day till 10pm, almost 24 hours after it's happened.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.