Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New year :( Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so im looking for abit of advice.

I arrived into work yesterday to do my normal 5 hours (10am til 3pm, these hours of work are set not variable), and shocking as this may sound, my manager informed me I have to work New Years Eve :eek:. not only 10am til 3pm but also 7 til 11pm :confused: this is essentially to replace the shift normally done on sunday.
    Is this unreasonable of my employee?
    Am I obliged to work these hours?
    Also the job is not in a customer service role, like a pub or restraurant so there isnt a need to actually work.

Help please!

ReputationRep:
    "Hello, is that the boss? Oh, hi boss, just ringing to let you know I'm terribly unwell and can't come into work today."

But you can't be made to work more than your contracted hours.

ReputationRep:
    Arrive to work pissed out of your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Call in sick.
    Or go into work and throw up and cough everywheree

ReputationRep:
    Its not extra hours though! The hours normally worked on sunday are being worked on NYE Night.

I have a party to go to

ReputationRep:
    If you need the money, then just work it. If you're not too fussed, then tell your manager that you had previous plans (with family or something would work better than telling them you have plans to go out and get very pissed, if that's your plan :P. 11pm isn't too bad though, still time to do stuff after. I'm working til 2am on New Years Eve, in a pub, not looking forward to the drunks at all!

ReputationRep:
    The safest option would be to just call in sick. Even if you do ask your manager, and they refuse to give it off, calling in sick will still look suspicious..your manager will definitely pick up on it!

ReputationRep:
    Call in sick.

ReputationRep:
    If I was already working my contracted hours and had not been given much notice I'd just say that I'm already unavailable. You could have been told about this a week ago if not months as they would know you're needed and you would not, as you usually work 10-3. I would tell them that I've already paid to go out and should have been contacted sooner.

If, however, you do not work your contracted hours then you can't really refuse. It does depend. Would you mind saying what job it is?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.