Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm quite stuck at suggesting formulas for compounds and such.
    For example:
    one question in the edexcel unit 1 exam said:
    Which of the following formulae for compounds of germanium, Ge, is unlikely to be correct, given the position of germanium in the periodic table:

A) GeF3
    B) GeS2
    C) GeO2
    D) GeH4

the answer is A but i'm not sure why!
    Also, one said, suggest a formula of Gallium chloride and one answer is GeCl3 or Ge2Cl6.

Please help!
    Rep for best explanation.

ReputationRep:
    i did this paper as a mock exam and i got it right due to my elimination process

Ge has a total of 32 electrons but only 4 is on the outer shell coz it's in group 4.
    If Ge formed with F it would only have 7 electrons and therefore it would not obey the octet rule and so it's unlikely to form

ReputationRep:
    Germanium has got 4 electrons in it's outer most shell
    F has 1 electron in it's outer most shell and there's three of them
    If they form three covalent bonds in total you get 7 electrons

This is not completing the outer most shell, you need 8 to fill it up not 7.

That is why A is the answer

Did that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    The outer shell of Germanium has got 6 electrons in it
    No it doesn't. It has 2 4s electrons and 2 4p electrons.

Gallium trichloride exists as GaCl3 in the gas phase, and Ga2Cl6 in the solid phase, but I doubt they'd expect you to know that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.