Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A new country for intelligent atheists? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think it would be like to set-up a new country that had strict entrance requirements - notably on the grounds of intelligence, being atheist/agnostic, passing a behavioural test (including politeness, criminal record, and so forth).

So long as the land contained no indigenous population, then there wouldn't be any infringement on liberty. People would know the conditions when they apply.

What do you think this country would be like? Prosperous? A failure?

Would you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Aww can I join even if I'm muslim, the country sounds relax.

ReputationRep:
    There would still be smarter ones, and it would probably be worse than a society mixed with the intelligent and less intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Ironically it sounds retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no conservatives allowed, that ok with you maggie?

ReputationRep:
    I can picture it now, the elitism of that country...

ReputationRep:
    As much as I disagree with some aspects of religion, I think it would be bit of a nerd fest

ReputationRep:
    Would children be free to explore religion?

And if they did become religious, would they be taken off the island and away from their family and friends?

ReputationRep:
    It would be doomed from the start.

ReputationRep:
    No, it would be a failure. Society can not work if everyone is equal.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the real Mrs Thatcher?

ReputationRep:
    It would be a mess.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it would if TSR became a real country. There'd be so much elitism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    What do you think it would be like to set-up a new country that had strict entrance requirements - notably on the grounds of intelligence, being atheist/agnostic, passing a behavioural test (including politeness, criminal record, and so forth).
    Is that what I think you're doing...

Are you implying that atheist and intelligent people are somehow "better" than religious and/or less intelligent people?

I mean, I'm an atheist and support logic and reson, but for some reason you're not being logical (that is assuming you're an atheist).

You're horrible!

ReputationRep:
    Build a city-ship and anchor it in the Caribbean :cool:

Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fabulous in many respects, but then there'd be no such thing as the Daily Mail. I need the amusement.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the economic system. If the new land were to adopt capitalism (in its current form, as it is in the UK and US), eventually a class of poorer people would emerge, and naturally, crime, lack of education, neglect etc would become prevalent, just like everywhere else, regardless of the fact the country originally began with only intelligent and law abiding people inhabiting it.

The problems of society have nothing to do with a certain class of people holding the country back because they are naturally inferior. It is the economic system that creates the classes, and it will always create a class rife with crime and everything else undesirable if it is a system of unregulated capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    Would there be a Morrisons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)

So long as the land contained no indigenous population, then there wouldn't be any infringement on liberty. People would know the conditions when they apply.

What do you think this country would be like? Prosperous? A failure?

Would you apply?
    er, no. A whole country of uptight, angry hitchenites isn't my idea of a hoot.

Think I'll pass thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Who would do the lower level jobs like collecting rubbish and building jobs? It is far better in our current society where if you're intelligent you become rich and then don't have to see these people on too regular a basis. I doubt full atheism would result in any marked improvement, perhaps it would just become the most up its own ass and pretentious country in the world? I would invest heavily in all black/emo/goth clothing stores and make a killing mind you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.