Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend got physically aggressive Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am a long-time user of TSR and have finally decided to sign up because i really need some other people's advice on what to do.
    Basically I cheated on my boyfriend of 2 years with one of his friends. It was such a horrible thing to do but it wasn't my fault really, he made the move on me and I had been drinking. My boyfriend found out through some of my jealous friends, and when he heard (on the phone) he asked me whether it was true. He didn't even look upset, which hurt me, he just looked red in the face. This is where it gets nasty, I hate talking about it. He came right up to me and shouted in my face at me, swearing aggressively, and didn't even stop when I started to cry.
    When I defended myself, slapping and kicking him away from me, he didn't wake up to reality or rational thought but he GRABBED ME and pushed me really hard out of his door, still shouting. I called 999 and he was arrested for assault but the charges have been dropped, I don't want him in trouble though perhaps I have been weak and it is a victory for misogynists after all.

When I started dating him I never thought he was the kind of man to physically assault a woman... but even after everything I do feel a a bit guilty, though perhaps it was worth it just to see my ex's true colours. This was 2 days ago, what shall I do TSR? Any advice will be taken onboard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SxcUggGirl87)
    Hi guys, I am a long-time user of TSR and have finally decided to sign up because i really need some other people's advice on what to do.
    Basically I cheated on my boyfriend of 2 years with one of his friends. It was such a horrible thing to do but it wasn't my fault really, he made the move on me and I had been drinking. My boyfriend found out through some of my jealous friends, and when he heard (on the phone) he asked me whether it was true. He didn't even look upset, which hurt me, he just looked red in the face. This is where it gets nasty, I hate talking about it. He came right up to me and shouted in my face at me, swearing aggressively, and didn't even stop when I started to cry.
    When I defended myself, slapping and kicking him away from me, he didn't wake up to reality or rational thought but he GRABBED ME and pushed me really hard out of his door, still shouting. I called 999 and he was arrested for assault but the charges have been dropped, I don't want him in trouble though perhaps I have been weak and it is a victory for misogynists after all.

When I started dating him I never thought he was the kind of man to physically assault a woman... but even after everything I do feel a a bit guilty, though perhaps it was worth it just to see my ex's true colours. This was 2 days ago, what shall I do TSR? Any advice will be taken onboard
    Yes it is, it's both of your faults.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I cheated on my boyfriend of 2 years with one of his friends.
    You cheated on him with one of his friends and then you expect him not to get mad? :rolleyes:

I think both of you should just part ways because you are both in the wrong. Him for grabbing you and you for cheating.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to move on and try to forget what happened...

This is what I think.. I am not an expert.. But I think you have to move on.... And never cheat ever again...

ReputationRep:

u cant really say its his true colours for assaulting you, maybe because he was a bit too emotional. no doubt he is wrong for being rough, but nevertheless, there is a fault on you to. u called 999, he probably got into some s***, he paid the price for being rough.

its too late to do anything. just move on, dont cheat again.

ReputationRep:
    He shouldn't have done that, but tbf it could have been worse. You describe him as your ex so I assume you've left him over it. Maybe you should just put it behind you and move on? There's not much else you can do if the charges have been dropped.

ReputationRep:
    You cheated on him and then you physically attacked him.

Hes better off without you

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, he was just really angry and unfortunately people make mistakes (just like you did).

But i dont get what your asking? What should you do about him? Whether you should get back together? etc..

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you assaulted him, not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    u dont deserve him and he doesnt deserve u coz of his violent ways
    and who has 'jealous friends'?? thats new

ReputationRep:

Perhaps resorting to physical violence first didn't help, and it doesn't count as defence if you're the one assaulting him first.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to call him right away and make it up to him. It looks like you kicked him or something? like what is that about? Maybe he feels rejected and you maybe feel dirty I can understand that so you need to call him right away he's probably really upset like u are and he'd really like to here from you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone
    (Original post by josh_v)
    You cheated on him and then you physically attacked him.

Hes better off without you
    Oh wow, really? Sure i slapped him but thats what a man gets if he swears at his girlfriend...ever been in a relationship? He opened the door and shoved me outside, violence is never the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

Oh wow, really? Sure i slapped him but thats what a man gets if he swears at his girlfriend...ever been in a relationship? He opened the door and shoved me outside, violence is never the answer.
    Yeah obv you should never hit a girl. She was right and he was wrong. Simple as taht

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

Yes, luckily my girlfriend hasnt cheated on me (she isnt a whore)

If violence isnt the answer, why did you attack him?

ReputationRep:
    You never thought he'd ever grab you and push you out the door when you started going out with him?
    ..He probably thought you'd never cheat on him. Or maybe im being stupid.

Not that this makes his actions right, but i bet he was hurt a lot more by you than you were by him.

ReputationRep:
    =/ People can be very unfair when it comes to domestic violence. We don't know the whole situation, you can't jump to conclusions that he was acting in self defence. The OP says he was screaming in her face, her actions may equally have been defensive.

As someone who has been through a very long and very violent relationship its quite unsettling to see responses like this. Agreed it doesn't sound like the OP was wronged too badly, but there is no need to abuse her, she didn't ask for her boyfriend to be violent towards her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leon.)
    Yeah obv you should never hit a girl. She was right and he was wrong. Simple as taht
    So because she's a girl if she hits him he cant hit her?

Sexist much

And.. women want equality.. so why not let them have it?

F.Y.I Id never hit a girl or a boy unless my life depended on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    =/ People can be very unfair when it comes to domestic violence. We don't know the whole situation, you can't jump to conclusions that he was acting in self defence. The OP says he was screaming in her face, her actions may equally have been defensive.

As someone who has been through a very long and very violent relationship its quite unsettling to see responses like this. Agreed it doesn't sound like the OP was wronged too badly, but there is no need to abuse her, she didn't ask for her boyfriend to be violent towards her.
    In the OP, she cheats on him, he shouts, so she hits him. Who's violent there?
    This is the main point being raised.
    Edit- I should say OP is clearly trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)

Rubbish, defense should be like for like. If he is shouting that doesn't give her the right to hit. But she did so he had every right to grab her (he never hit her) and put her outside, that's probably why the charges were dropped.

She cheated on him like a whore, got upset because he confronted her about it and started hitting him. I can't see it any other way, the op's a ****!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.