The Student Room Group

Physics Course Requirements for Degree?

Heya!

Okay, I admit degree's are quite a few years away as I am just beginning to choose my A-Level subject choices.. but I would like some advice :smile:

I'm choosing
Physics
Maths
English Lit
History

I know these subjects don't really 'go together' but they're purely what I enjoy. I also understand the competitive world of journalism and english etc. so I can't really seeing myself persuing this as a career.. meerly a hobby for life :smile:
So physics is where I envision myself but only 'envision' I don't actually know what I want to do when I'm older (as many sixteen year olds don't)

So how about physics degrees at say oxbridge? or ucl? Do you NEED chemistry or further mathematics.. anyone studying them did you need such subjects?

Thankkkkks, I'm so confused with everyone telling me different things :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Heyheyehy
Heya!

Okay, I admit degree's are quite a few years away as I am just beginning to choose my A-Level subject choices.. but I would like some advice :smile:

I'm choosing
Physics
Maths
English Lit
History

I know these subjects don't really 'go together' but they're purely what I enjoy. I also understand the competitive world of journalism and english etc. so I can't really seeing myself persuing this as a career.. meerly a hobby for life :smile:
So physics is where I envision myself but only 'envision' I don't actually know what I want to do when I'm older (as many sixteen year olds don't)

So how about physics degrees at say oxbridge? or ucl? Do you NEED chemistry or further mathematics.. anyone studying them did you need such subjects?

Thankkkkks, I'm so confused with everyone telling me different things :confused:

I'm currently in my first year doing Physics at Leeds Uni and I did further maths but not chemistry.

Further Maths is not essential since not all schools/colleges offer it but is definately considered a plus since it will give you a better understanding of some topics. Unis go over a lot of topics covered in FM during the first year and if you did FM at a-level then you're already familiar with the material.

I know quite a few people doing physics at uni that didn't study chemistry a-level and it isn't causing any problems.
Is Physics at all possible without Maths? I heard of a foundation maths year scheme or something?
Reply 3
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Is Physics at all possible without Maths? I heard of a foundation maths year scheme or something?

Everything I have done in physics depends on maths (except perhaps introductary astrophysics).
You need a strong maths brain and without an A-level or equivalent in maths you are very unlikely to have the mathematical knowledge base to progress past first year physics, and I doubt you would pass the first year maths modules.
Reply 4
Original post by Heyheyehy
Heya!

I'm choosing
Physics
Maths
English Lit
History

You should be okay for most physics courses with those. Further maths/chemistry is preferable/desirable but not essential! As long as you do well in maths and physics you'd be fine.

For Cambridge however, they prefer you to have three sciences for the natsci route, and further maths for the maths route, so if you were plumping for Cambridge you might want to take Further Maths instead of or on top of your other AS levels.
You definately do not need chemistry. Further maths on the other hand is very useful.

With regards to Oxbridge: Camebridge don't do straight physics so you would have to apply for natural sciences. Oxford says you only need maths and physics but they will question you on why you didn't take further maths if you had the oppertunity (words from a professor at Oxford).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending