The Student Room Group

Where do I apply to do biology?

Im predicted 3 A's, want to study biology, just really dont know which would be the best uni for me.

I have been looking at Sheffield and Bath; which is the best out of these 2 for biology?
Reply 1
Oxford: AAA
UCL: AAA
Imperial: AAB
Bristol: AAB
Sheffield: AAB
Warwick: ABB
Leeds: ABB
Exeter: AAB
Southampton: AAB-BBB
Nottingham: ABB
Newcastle: ABB
Edinburgh: AAB
Glasgow: ABB
St Andrews: AAB
Manchester: AAB
Durham: ABB
York: ABB
Leicester: AAB
Cardiff: ABB

They're most of the decent ones (minus the ones i've forgotten), the grades may be off a bit; i can't be bothered to look up exact grades, you can do that!

Bath is BioNatSci and is AAA, it's a pretty good course from what i know. Sheffield is also very good for biology, it's AAB i believe. The courses themselves will be different but for actual biology i would say that Sheffield is a better choice; Bath you will have to do more physics, maths, chemistry than you may want to do. Hmm, just checked the Bath website ant they do offer a biology bsc, not sure whether this was the case last year, anyway, it's ABB and worse than Sheffield in my opinion.

If you think you can get A*AA then BioNatSci at Cambridge may be an idea. Otherwise i would start with Oxford then choose the next 4 courses that interest you the most; unless you're applying this year, Oxbridge applications are closed.

Any questions you have about biology, uni, ucl or london just ask!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Sheffield is better for biology, but you should definitely make your choice based on the course content because these two are quite different. BSc Biology at Sheffield is about ecology, conservation, animals, and plants whereas BSc Biology at Bath has a significantly higher amount of modules on molecular biosciences (biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, microbiology).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending