Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im predicted 3 A's, want to study biology, just really dont know which would be the best uni for me.

I have been looking at Sheffield and Bath; which is the best out of these 2 for biology?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford: AAA
    UCL: AAA
    Imperial: AAB
    Bristol: AAB
    Sheffield: AAB
    Warwick: ABB
    Leeds: ABB
    Exeter: AAB
    Southampton: AAB-BBB
    Nottingham: ABB
    Newcastle: ABB
    Edinburgh: AAB
    Glasgow: ABB
    St Andrews: AAB
    Manchester: AAB
    Durham: ABB
    York: ABB
    Leicester: AAB
    Cardiff: ABB

They're most of the decent ones (minus the ones i've forgotten), the grades may be off a bit; i can't be bothered to look up exact grades, you can do that!

Bath is BioNatSci and is AAA, it's a pretty good course from what i know. Sheffield is also very good for biology, it's AAB i believe. The courses themselves will be different but for actual biology i would say that Sheffield is a better choice; Bath you will have to do more physics, maths, chemistry than you may want to do. Hmm, just checked the Bath website ant they do offer a biology bsc, not sure whether this was the case last year, anyway, it's ABB and worse than Sheffield in my opinion.

If you think you can get A*AA then BioNatSci at Cambridge may be an idea. Otherwise i would start with Oxford then choose the next 4 courses that interest you the most; unless you're applying this year, Oxbridge applications are closed.

Any questions you have about biology, uni, ucl or london just ask!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is better for biology, but you should definitely make your choice based on the course content because these two are quite different. BSc Biology at Sheffield is about ecology, conservation, animals, and plants whereas BSc Biology at Bath has a significantly higher amount of modules on molecular biosciences (biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, microbiology).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.