Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you buy a domain name and then use an online website builder? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've found the domain name I would like to use and just wondered would I be able to buy this and then use it on a website like MrSite when I start to build my own site or should I see if I can buy it on MrSite? Also, I would like the email and bits to go with it, if I buy the domain from 123 reg can I get the other bits from MrSite? This is probably a really stupid question but I haven't got a clue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquamarine.)
    Hi, I've found the domain name I would like to use and just wondered would I be able to buy this and then use it on a website like MrSite when I start to build my own site or should I see if I can buy it on MrSite? Also, I would like the email and bits to go with it, if I buy the domain from 123 reg can I get the other bits from MrSite? This is probably a really stupid question but I haven't got a clue!
    Once you've registered a domain, you need a hosting space which you pay for as well. This would be to a server that holds all the files of your website. Once you've got that, u can do what u want.

ReputationRep:
    Can I get these from 2 different sites? Once I own my domain name can I use that wherever I want?

ReputationRep:
    You can buy a doman from 123reg and get webhosting separately. Then link your domain with your web hosting account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquamarine.)
    Can I get these from 2 different sites? Once I own my domain name can I use that wherever I want?

Absolutely. When you pay for the hosting service, they will give u all the dns details to link up the hosting server to the domain. I would suggest using the free hosting services to try out what u want and once ur happy with it, go for the paid service.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest using google sites to test out how to get everything working.
    If you've already got your domain then you can use Google sites to creat a simple website and then point your Domain name to Google servers. The website does have a footer from google that is UNremovable so just use it for experimenting purposes. (or you can keep it if you don't mind the footer) Visit

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...sive=true&ul=1
    to get started.
    Let me know how you get on.
    Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.