Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fuel Savingtip for fellow uni students Watch

ReputationRep:
    WARNING: Make sure you take care before doing this, I take no responsbility for ruined engines!

The law in the UK states you can use up to 2,500 litres a year of untaxed homeade fuel, so you can use vegetable oil used or new in a diesel engine. Mine takes about 20Litres unmodified in the summer. I dont do it often but it eases the pain of fuel costs. If you have an old engine like mine, its best to add some petrol or white spirit to boost the octane.

BE CAREFUL ABOVE ALL

ReputationRep:
    Be very careful with this, and certainly don't do it on a car less than 10 years old or so. Some fuel pumps are more tolerant of the different properties (viscosity, lubricity etc.) of veg oil than others (I seem to recall the Bosch systems are more tolerant than the Lucas ones as far as XUD9s go) but any common rail diesel will throw a hissy fit unless it's been properly modified - and if it does so the repair bill will be way above any savings. Also if you're going to use used oil then make sure it's been properly filtered, you don't want the remains of your fish and chips clogging up your injectors. If you're even thinking about using veg oil make sure you do plenty of research, particularly into the effects on your engine. Also don't attempt it in the winter - cold veg oil is pretty viscous so your engine won't run well, if at all, and you risk knackering your lift pump.
    Lastly, diesel doesn't have an octane rating! The RON (Research Octane Number) is an index of how well a blend of petrol resists pre-ignition, or in other words compression ignition. That's not an issue in diesels, as the fuel is injected at the point of ignition, and is ignited by compression ignition. The equivalent of the RON for a diesel is the cetane number, which refers to ignition delay. (I'm not saying you shouldn't put petrol or white spirit in, I don't run veg oil so haven't looked into it that deeply, but it's nothing to do with octane ratings.)

ReputationRep:
    Deffo.

I never whack more than 20 litres of oil to 30 litres of diesel, and never more than half a small jam jar of petrol in the mix

ReputationRep:
    Or get friendly with your farmer friends...

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    WARNING: Make sure you take care before doing this, I take no responsbility for ruined engines!

The law in the UK states you can use up to 2,500 litres a year of untaxed homeade fuel, so you can use vegetable oil used or new in a diesel engine. Mine takes about 20Litres unmodified in the summer. I dont do it often but it eases the pain of fuel costs. If you have an old engine like mine, its best to add some petrol or white spirit to boost the octane.

BE CAREFUL ABOVE ALL
    If you don't take responsibility for ruined engines then why the F are you writing it here? KMT

ReputationRep:
    Because it's up to you if you do it. Most older diesels will accept a decent mix of oil and diesel.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ True, lorry drivers normally add paraffin (kerosene) or petrol to standard diesel to make cold starts easier in winter.

This would work, but you would have to have a pretty old school diesel for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    ^^^ True, lorry drivers normally add paraffin (kerosene) or petrol to standard diesel to make cold starts easier in winter.

This would work, but you would have to have a pretty old school diesel for it.
    ....... Or buy winter diesel which has additives already added by the fuel company?

(Original post by gbduo)
      Or get friendly with your farmer friends...

:ninja:
      haha yehhhh good idea, gotta get the red dye out somehow though :/

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rich_183)
      haha yehhhh good idea, gotta get the red dye out somehow though :/
      Yeh bloody pesky that red dye!

ReputationRep:
      The unfortunate thing about this exemption is unless you have family in catering trade or something similar used oil is worth good dollar- there's plenty of companies who buy and collect used frying oil and the like, refine it and sell it to oil companies to put with fossil fuel diesels (something like 10% biodiesel).

I've got a Peugeot HDi engine in my car and it's tempermental without adding 100% biodiesel! Mind you like Landie_Man says it's good in older diesels, even more recent stuff like Peugeot 306s/406s with the 1.9 TD engines.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.