Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing aqa Biology unit 4 and unit 5 this year and I was wondering whether it is sensible to revise AS again?

Last year we used the Nelson Thornes Text book and I have no notes from AS (my teacher last year was not the best of teachers). We were not given notes. I'm not retaking so is there a reason/ or would it be of any use to revise Unit 1 and 2 again?
    (I no longer have the book as the school has taken it back in so if it is necessary to revise it again, I will need to buy one. so I was wondering whether it would be worth buying another text book too?)
    Thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    It will probably be useful to have a quick read through the text book cause the basic pricipals like diffusion , protein structure, biodiversity etc are going to be relevant

ReputationRep:
    Erm I wouldnt waste your time with revising unit 1 and unit 2 again (unless your retaking any like me)

but it is good to sort of refresh your memory on the very basic things e.g. enzymes working best at different temperatures and erm to be honest thats all i can think of that comes up alot i dont think you would need to revise anything like the heart lungs etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceecee)
    It will probably be useful to have a quick read through the text book cause the basic pricipals like diffusion , protein structure, biodiversity etc are going to be relevant
    Do you think that the CGP guide alone will provide sufficient information on such topics..
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It would be useful to revise the topics again, but I wouldnt go as far as buying the book for it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redgirl123)
    Do you think that the CGP guide alone will provide sufficient information on such topics..
    I think so , the cgp guides are pretty good and they probably won't ask too much synoptic stuff in this paper, it might be worth borrowing a text book for the summer exam though !

ReputationRep:
    No, don't bother! The stuff you need to know is all very simple, such as the basics of enzymes etc. It;s nice to speak to people who are also with AQA for a change on here, how hard does this paper look! Last years was a right ***** haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!!! I've come to the conclusion of not buying one.. I'll be trying to find one to borrow! This will require a bit of hunting and involve some bribing xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redgirl123)
    I am doing aqa Biology unit 4 and unit 5 this year and I was wondering whether it is sensible to revise AS again?

Last year we used the Nelson Thornes Text book and I have no notes from AS (my teacher last year was not the best of teachers). We were not given notes. I'm not retaking so is there a reason/ or would it be of any use to revise Unit 1 and 2 again?
    (I no longer have the book as the school has taken it back in so if it is necessary to revise it again, I will need to buy one. so I was wondering whether it would be worth buying another text book too?)
    Thanks xxx
    If you go to AQA's Website and check out the Syllabus, you'll see a bit at the end of each module which is titled something like 'biological principles'. This lists the synoptic bits of each unit that can be carried through. As most people have said, it's not worth wasting too much time going over things in detail. The synoptic stuff will mostly pass you by in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    OH right okie! Thanks x
    erm also I wanted to ask is it true that there are bonus points for the synoptic essay in AQA biology paper if you write about stuff that are not included in the AS/A2 syllabus. If so , what kind of things can be done to acquire such knowledge?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.