Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever tried Yogalates ?
    There is a class at my gym and I can't decide whether it would be worth joining it cause I want to lose a few pounds of the christmas weight

ReputationRep:
    My Auntie did it and said it was fun but didn't dramatically lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Yep i tried it but as chlobofro said it didnt help me loose weight,
    it did help me relax and become more flexible though

ReputationRep:
    If your only aim is to lose fat this sounds like a ridiculously inefficient use of ones time and resources

Do some cardio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    If your only aim is to lose fat this sounds like a ridiculously inefficient use of ones time and resources

Do some cardio
    I'd agree with this.

However, there are different types of yoga. I've been doing bikram yoga for the past two months and am really enjoying it. I thought it would be easy and that it wouldn't make any real difference to my body, but by the end of the class, I'm sweaty, tired, sore and puffed out. I have lost weight too and am much more flexible and happier. So I do bikram five to six times a week, go power walking (and walk whoever I can; ie I walk to yoga from work instead of getting a lift or taking the bus), running and eat a healthy diet and this keeps me in pretty good shape.

I used to do pilates (my uni provided it for free, my favourite price) and didn't see any improvements from it. It didn't wear me out at all. Ok, I only did it once a week. I also did 'yoga' (whatever style that was, also provided for free from uni) and hated it, but I love bikram yoga

It's important to remember that with any activity you have to do it as often as you can to see some results

ReputationRep:
    That's a very fun word to say. Yogalates.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to need to come out with a different name for my new confectionery that combines yoghurt and chocolates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    I'd agree with this.

However, there are different types of yoga. I've been doing bikram yoga for the past two months and am really enjoying it. I thought it would be easy and that it wouldn't make any real difference to my body, but by the end of the class, I'm sweaty, tired, sore and puffed out. I have lost weight too and am much more flexible and happier. So I do bikram five to six times a week, go power walking (and walk whoever I can; ie I walk to yoga from work instead of getting a lift or taking the bus), running and eat a healthy diet and this keeps me in pretty good shape.

I used to do pilates (my uni provided it for free, my favourite price) and didn't see any improvements from it. It didn't wear me out at all. Ok, I only did it once a week. I also did 'yoga' (whatever style that was, also provided for free from uni) and hated it, but I love bikram yoga

It's important to remember that with any activity you have to do it as often as you can to see some results
    I do cardio as well , I just wondered if it would be a good low impact work out and is Bikram yoga sometimes called hot yoga ? I wanted to try that but couldn't find a class! Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceecee)
    I do cardio as well , I just wondered if it would be a good low impact work out and is Bikram yoga sometimes called hot yoga ? I wanted to try that but couldn't find a class! Thanks for the advice
    Yep, Bikram yoga = hot yoga. Here in Adelaide today it will be 41 degrees, so I guess yoga wont seem so hot today...or perhaps it will be even hotter!

ReputationRep:
    The O.C

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.