Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand what a minor is...

Suppose I wanted to do Chemical Engineering. What would be the difference between a program called "Chemical Engineering and Management" and just taking the Chemical Engineering program but doing a minor in Management?

So what benefit does a minor actually bring? If my career in Chemical Engineering fails, does this mean that I have Management as a backup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confuzzled92)
    I don't really understand what a minor is...

Suppose I wanted to do Chemical Engineering. What would be the difference between a program called "Chemical Engineering and Management" and just taking the Chemical Engineering program but doing a minor in Management?

So what benefit does a minor actually bring? If my career in Chemical Engineering fails, does this mean that I have Management as a backup?
    Sorry, I can not help myself but I have to crack a joke: You will be able to make chemical compounds and then organise them. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    Engineering in itself can open up many career doors, not just in engineering itself. Quite a large number of engineering graduates go on to other types of jobs like management and stuff anyways because it's seen as a good skill by a lot of employers. I know it's not really answering your original question but I hope it helps a bit. I suppose a minor in management could be a help if you did end up wanting to go into it afterwards..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Sorry, I can not help myself but I have to crack a joke: You will be able to make chemical compounds and then organise them. :holmes:
    I think that must be the lamest joke I've ever heard

ReputationRep:
    In terms of a minor it refers to the proportion of the degree qualification which is in management. If you are studying Engineering, for example, this will be your main subject area. Management will be subsidiary. The exact combinations vary depending on the University in question, but are usually either 60:40 or 75:25. If you do this, you will take a greater number of modules in Engineering, but your final degree classification will depend on your performance in both subject areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I think that must be the lamest joke I've ever heard
    Sir Stewart in your avatar obviously agrees.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know that any universities in the UK use the major/minor system (assuming that's what you're on about) but if you're doing a minor in something else then there are a few immediate problems that I see.

Firstly, assuming the "minor" in management is extra and not part of the degree then it's going to be a hell of a lot of work! An engineering degree is time consuming enough, I see no reason why you'd want to add in extra work. All accredited degrees must contain at least some management and finance type modules anyway. A "minor" in management won't make you any more attractive in the engineering world since it's largely based on what you've done and how well you did it, not bits of paper. And if it detracts from you getting a 1st or 2:1 then it will in fact have harmed your job prospects.

Secondly, if it is similar to a joint honours programme then there are no accredited engineering joint honours degrees. There are engineering degrees with management, yes, but that's not the same thing. So if you are to embark on this, make sure that your degree is accredited.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.