Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!!! What to wear 4 job interview Watch

ReputationRep:
    Been looking for a new job 4 a while and now Ive got an interview at a sales and marketing company. In the email they wrote "Please note that this is an interview so come professionally dressed (office wear, shirt, tie, trousers)"
    I am an 18 year old girl and I dont know much about clothes. Im a jeans, t-shirt and hoodie girl and in my old job they didnt care what i wore. Do they expect me 2 wear black bootcut work trousers and a shirt? Ive seen them in the work sections of the shops but they look like the kind of thing a middle aged woman would wear, not an 18 year old girl. So anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Look at what people in offices wear and copy that. If you don't have a suit (trouser or skirt), your wardrobe is already lacking- but as a girl you're afforded some leeway.

Dress conservatively yet smartly- think succesful businesswoman. Such people do not wear hoodies and jeans in their working life. I suggest a flattering just-above-knee-length skirt, with a white or pastel blouse and a jacket to match the skirt, or a plain cardigan to match the blouse.

The simple fact is that if you want to get a job you've got to look serious and professional- and looking 18 is not how you accomplish that. You don't need to look middle aged, but now that you're no longer a child you must stop dressing like one outside of leisure time.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the advice given. Yes, the clothes you see in the workwear sections of clothes stores may look a little middle aged, but the idea is to dress in a way that makes you look a little older than you are, or at least older than you think of yourself as being. They don't want to hire a kid to do this job, they want an adult.

As others have said I would go for either a skirt suit or a jacket and pencil skirt, with sheer tights and heels. That way you will look mature, professional and smart, an image they will be happy with their staff projecting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused as to why you need advice as to what to wear when you've said that they emailed you telling you to "come professionally dressed (office wear, shirt, tie, trousers)".

Do that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.