The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Vet Students 2011 Chat Thread

This is a bit early, but I thought as some people already have Edinburgh offers, it might be a good idea to have a proper place to chat about the legendary dick vet instead of it all getting lost in the main one! :redface: And also if Randomshoes is going to make a facebook page then this might be a good place for people to find it. :smile:

Just quoting you two so I'm not alone! :tongue:

becky90009
x

Randomshoes
x

Sorry if I've missed anyone else!

Scroll to see replies

I'maaaa joining in!
Reply 2
Yay!

Hello everyone!

If I can work out how to make a Facebook group, there shall be one, but I am a little boggled by Facey atm :tongue:

Edit: Facebook have recently changed their Groups applications apparently, so although I am not sure if the group I am just about to make will be right, I shall give it a shot and see
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=vet%20freshers&init=quick&tas=0.23161097577456657#!/home.php?sk=group_179183575437141

It is in construction, but I am working away as I type this!

The group still doesn't seem quite right, but it is the only way I can find to make a group! I think it might be what groups are supposed to look like on fb now but if anyone knows how to make one better, let me know!
(edited 13 years ago)
Whee this is awfully exciting, it feels like we're actually going to be vets now!! Are you guys firming edinburgh as first choice? It's gonna be my insurance (if I get another offer!). Defo unimpressed about their chat with accomodation for insurance choices but; I'll be finding my own flat if they try to give me a shared room! Aha, I get into vet school and I'm still complaining :wink:
Reply 5
I have alreaedy firmed edinburghh :biggrin:! dotn make it your insurance :frown: x
Reply 7
Hey all!

So im new to this forum, but here goes nothing! I am an American student and I received an offer from edinburgh right before christmas, im 90% sure it is where I will be going but im waiting to hear from glasgow. I am really excited to start amd can't wait for september! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by kem9987221
Hey all!

So im new to this forum, but here goes nothing! I am an American student and I received an offer from edinburgh right before christmas, im 90% sure it is where I will be going but im waiting to hear from glasgow. I am really excited to start amd can't wait for september! :biggrin:

Hiya, well done on your offer! :smile: Whereabouts in the U.S. are you from?

Also, I'm going up to Edinburgh for a night out after Jan exams at the end of this month, so if anyone knows any good (cheap!) pubs or general studenty bars /clubs then let me know! :P (Also, booked a cheap hostel near Haymarket train station, so anywhere around there would be good too! Can tell I'm gonna get lost already)

Hope you all had a fine new years, I managed to soak my phone in vodka which wasn't a great start but oh well, bring on 2011. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jen vet
Hiya, well done on your offer! :smile: Whereabouts in the U.S. are you from?)

Thanks! I currently go to school in Pittsburgh, PA but i'm originally from Delaware (tiny state, horrible drivers, cheap alcohol)

I can't wait to meet all of you guys in September! Happy New Years!!!!!!:borat:
Reply 10
Original post by jen vet

Also, I'm going up to Edinburgh for a night out after Jan exams at the end of this month, so if anyone knows any good (cheap!) pubs or general studenty bars /clubs then let me know! :P (Also, booked a cheap hostel near Haymarket train station, so anywhere around there would be good too! Can tell I'm gonna get lost already)

Heya, off topic with this thread but I might be able to help you with places to go in Edinburgh (did 2 years at uni there). What day are you going on? Getting from Haymarket to George St (behind the main st - princes st) is easy and there's plenty places along there (lulus, opal and why not are the main clubs and there's bars too -candy's v.good!) and there's city (now named shark I think over waverly bridge).
Reply 11
Hey all!

Also am an american student, kinda- not american but studying in america is complicated, and got into edinburgh before christmas. Edinburgh is my number 1 choice :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by dogmad13
Also am an american student, kinda- not american but studying in america is complicated, and got into edinburgh before christmas. Edinburgh is my number 1 choice :smile:

Nice! Where im America are u studying? Edinburgh is my #1 choice also, I'm getting really excited for September! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Hey everyone, I'm a second year student at Edinburgh. I remember when I got my offer, I made my first FB account just to make a group for all of the prospective students! Exciting stuff.

If you have any questions (don't make them too difficult!) let me know. :biggrin:

DICK VET RULES! :woo:
Reply 14
Nice! Where im America are u studying? Edinburgh is my #1 choice also, I'm getting really excited for September! :biggrin:

I am in Colorado I went to CSU. Im super excited too !!! Little nervous have two dogs that will be coming over with me so eek.
I'll be taking my doggie to uni too wherever i end up at :smile:
harro! im currently studying the IB (fun stuff) and i've received an offer from edinburgh :biggrin: :biggrin: and glasgow. but i dont know which one to pick!! what are some of the good points about edinburgh vet school? i was only able to visit the city, not the vet school, sadly :frown: the city is lovely btw!!
Original post by tropicalia_la
harro! im currently studying the IB (fun stuff) and i've received an offer from edinburgh :biggrin: :biggrin: and glasgow. but i dont know which one to pick!! what are some of the good points about edinburgh vet school? i was only able to visit the city, not the vet school, sadly :frown: the city is lovely btw!!

Hey :biggrin:

I like Edinburgh because I prefer the city slightly to Glasgow. Edinburgh vet school is very, very slightly above Glasgow in most league tables (if you're interested in those). They are both brilliant vet schools with not much to choose between them, but Edinburgh have just had two new buildings put up on their Easter Bush site.

One of them is owned by the Roslin Institute which you might well have heard of (they were responsible for Dolly the sheep, amoung other things). The building of the new research building on the same site will mean closer bonds between the vet school and research centre, which is a bonus point for Edinburgh.

The other one, I think, is just owned by the vet school. They both look amazing when I saw them the other day :smile:

The Dick vet is the vet I use for my animals. I have a share horse, budgies, rabbits and a cat so I get to see the workings of the Dick vet as a client in a few of the different sections. The vets are all brilliant, especially the exotics vets, some of those are geniuses!

Its a more shallow reason potentially for me, but I just prefer the atmosphere of Edinburgh vet school to Glasgow vs. Maybe I will be proved wrong but at the moment I just don't like the... ethos... of Glasgow. I have no reason for it, it is just instinct.

It has always been my dream to go to Ed so I guess all the new developments and such are just bonuses for me, it is also handy as I live here and don't want to move away. It just seems perfect :love:

Good luck deciding, all the vet schools are great
Reply 18
The atmosphere at Edinburgh is nicer I have to say (and I know I'm biased, but I felt this way when I applied and it's one of the main reasons I chose Ed!). The people, in my experience, seem a lot warmer, friendlier, and more understanding here. I felt like I was being interrogated at my Glasgow interview, whereas at Edinburgh I felt like the interviewers were genuinely more interested in what I had to say.

And the exotics vets are geniuses! If you like your exotics, this is definetly the place to be for many reasons! One of which is the amazing new exotics handling unit out at Bush, set up specifically for vet students to practice handling with rabbits/rats/guineas/chinchillas/hamsters/reptiles etc. :biggrin:

Edinburgh also has good links with the SAC, another impressive organisation. I did work experience at one of their vet services and it was amazing (so I'm a little biased about them as well).
Reply 19
Original post by totallyme
Heya, off topic with this thread but I might be able to help you with places to go in Edinburgh (did 2 years at uni there). What day are you going on? Getting from Haymarket to George St (behind the main st - princes st) is easy and there's plenty places along there (lulus, opal and why not are the main clubs and there's bars too -candy's v.good!) and there's city (now named shark I think over waverly bridge).

On a saturday at the end of the month (29th I think)? Thanks so much for the advice. I'm so excited now haha. I think there's a fair group of us going. I quite want to come up to Ed for the fringe in the summer, but will have to see if I can afford it. :smile:

Original post by Randomshoes
Hey :biggrin:

I like Edinburgh because I prefer the city slightly to Glasgow. Edinburgh vet school is very, very slightly above Glasgow in most league tables (if you're interested in those). They are both brilliant vet schools with not much to choose between them, but Edinburgh have just had two new buildings put up on their Easter Bush site.

One of them is owned by the Roslin Institute which you might well have heard of (they were responsible for Dolly the sheep, amoung other things). The building of the new research building on the same site will mean closer bonds between the vet school and research centre, which is a bonus point for Edinburgh.

The other one, I think, is just owned by the vet school. They both look amazing when I saw them the other day :smile:

The Dick vet is the vet I use for my animals. I have a share horse, budgies, rabbits and a cat so I get to see the workings of the Dick vet as a client in a few of the different sections. The vets are all brilliant, especially the exotics vets, some of those are geniuses!

Its a more shallow reason potentially for me, but I just prefer the atmosphere of Edinburgh vet school to Glasgow vs. Maybe I will be proved wrong but at the moment I just don't like the... ethos... of Glasgow. I have no reason for it, it is just instinct.

It has always been my dream to go to Ed so I guess all the new developments and such are just bonuses for me, it is also handy as I live here and don't want to move away. It just seems perfect :love:

Good luck deciding, all the vet schools are great

Are you planning on living at home or moving into halls/self-catered accom? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending