Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This thread gets me so excited.

:tongue:
Original post by jen vet
This thread gets me so excited.

:tongue:

~

Are you planning on living at home or moving into halls/self-catered accom?

Sammeeee - can you tell from my enthusiastic Ed post?! :tongue:

I am thinking I am going to live at home, save money and then hopefully get a flat or whatever in later years. I think quite a lot of vet students get flats and such so they can keep pets, so maybe there will be potential house sharers :cool:
Reply 22
Original post by Randomshoes
Sammeeee - can you tell from my enthusiastic Ed post?! :tongue:

I am thinking I am going to live at home, save money and then hopefully get a flat or whatever in later years. I think quite a lot of vet students get flats and such so they can keep pets, so maybe there will be potential house sharers :cool:

I could swear I had replied to this ages ago!!? Maybe I'm going a little revision crazy. :tongue: Anyhow, I did enjoy your Ed post. Seriously, they should pay us for the amount of promotion we do on here! :smile:

And that sounds like a wise plan, the accom does look scarily expersive in Edinburgh. :smile: I'm already looking for ways to smuggle pets into halls for the first years but it's probably wiser to wait for moving into pet friendly flats. I am going to have to make friends with someone with a dog early on though.. I can tell already I'm going to miss mine soo much! So will be offering free dog walking for any vetty dog owners haha :smile:
Reply 23
Im bringing out two dogs so if anyone needs a dog fix they can just go hug mine :smile: Are most people just living in the university flats?? Especially with the vet school being out at easter bush now completely.
Reply 24
Just to let you know that although having pets in second year and beyond sounds tempting, don't make the mistake of ommitting to tell your landlord. Luckily there are quite a few landlords who are fine with small pets - at the moment we have a cockatiel and three rats. :biggrin:
(Possibly a gecko as well next year!)
Original post by jen vet
I could swear I had replied to this ages ago!!? Maybe I'm going a little revision crazy. :tongue: Anyhow, I did enjoy your Ed post. Seriously, they should pay us for the amount of promotion we do on here! :smile:

And that sounds like a wise plan, the accom does look scarily expersive in Edinburgh. :smile: I'm already looking for ways to smuggle pets into halls for the first years but it's probably wiser to wait for moving into pet friendly flats. I am going to have to make friends with someone with a dog early on though.. I can tell already I'm going to miss mine soo much! So will be offering free dog walking for any vetty dog owners haha :smile:

I know maybe we could get a job from the advertising department :rolleyes:

Yeah my friends at edinburgh this year say it is pretty expensive, but nice to live in :smile:

I also don't think my mum would be too impressed if I left her with two bunnies and a cat either so I'll have to stay for them - I am already being harrassed over the discounted food for the animals I can get as a student!

I want a dog sooooo unbelievably much!! I need a canine friend! I am driving my mum mad by saying "I want a dooogg" everytime I see a nice dog or somebody I know gets one. It shall be the first thing I will buy when I can support one :wink:
Reply 26
Thought I'd rescue this thread from two pages back to say..............

I JUST FIRMED EDINBURGH :woo:

Just the small matter of A-levels to get through now. :smile:
Mmmm I'm very much thinking I'm oging to firm edinburgh soon, I really like glasgow vet school butttt I'm desparate to get away from where I am and edinburgh vet school is similarly lovely! Ahhh decisions, very tempted by ed but!
Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk
Mmmm I'm very much thinking I'm oging to firm edinburgh soon, I really like glasgow vet school butttt I'm desparate to get away from where I am and edinburgh vet school is similarly lovely! Ahhh decisions, very tempted by ed but!

Yes! Do it - come over to our side :colone: :wink:
Reply 29

Do. It. :tongue:

Dunno if it was you saying the clubbing wasn't very good in Ed, but went up there last weekend for a night out and it was amazing :wink: and not as expensive as everyone keeps saying (granted we went in the free entry clubs and cheap bars on Rose St) but then again I come from a town with 3 pubs so anything could beat it! :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by Randomshoes
Yes! Do it - come over to our side :colone: :wink:

We just posted at exactly the same time.. :smile: spooky. I was going to ask did you ever get any exciting uni stuff when you put Ed as your firm? Don't know whether to postman stalk again. :tongue:
Original post by jen vet
We just posted at exactly the same time.. :smile: spooky. I was going to ask did you ever get any exciting uni stuff when you put Ed as your firm? Don't know whether to postman stalk again. :tongue:

Haha that is spooky :biggrin:

Well, I got an email that was kinda just saying thanks for firming and that I needed to send copies of my exam certificates. Then it said that they wouldn't be back in touch till May :frown: I was hoping for all sorts of interesting letters and such!

Though I found a little internet document that I think Dick Vet freshers last year got referred to which tells you some interesting things, but I don't know if all of it will be relevant to this year - probably mostly though.

There's a scary vaccine section :rolleyes:

And yeah clubbing in Edinburgh is quite good, though it is all I know so I have no comparisons. Cav is good - really friendly and such :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Ahhh I'm very nearly almost convinced - THIS IS TOO EXCITING! Spent this evening playing online poker and looking up ed accomodation, when I actually planned my entire weekend to find and write up Thomas Hardy quotes for my english prelim on friday. Clearly deciding where I'm maybe living in like 8 months is much more important right now :wink: Do you folks have any idea where you're applying for accom? I know there used to be one place vet students mostly applied to that was right next to summerhall, but obv that isn't important this year (right?). Reckon the bus route to EB will cover most of the student flat locations? I dunno how I'm expecting yous to know anymore about me than this, sorry!
Reply 33
Ahhh I'm very nearly almost convinced - THIS IS TOO EXCITING! Spent this evening playing online poker and looking up ed accomodation, when I actually planned my entire weekend to find and write up Thomas Hardy quotes for my english prelim on friday. Clearly deciding where I'm maybe living in like 8 months is much more important right now :wink: Do you folks have any idea where you're applying for accom? I know there used to be one place vet students mostly applied to that was right next to summerhall, but obv that isn't important this year (right?). Reckon the bus route to EB will cover most of the student flat locations? I dunno how I'm expecting yous to know anymore about me than this, sorry!

Haha I'm exactly the same with looking at accomodation, its so exciting compared to biology coursework. :rolleyes: I thought pollock halls looked good because they're so massive so you'd be grouped with loads of people, but then I've heard that it's like boarding school (like, they get everything for you- bog roll etc :s-smilie: ), and there are no cooking facilities and the food is like canteen food at strict times. Plus you have to move out in non-term times and its pretty expensive and sounds like a lot less freedom than I have now. Soo, might apply for self catered and learn to cook. :tongue: Nooo idea where though, they all look pretty nice.

Have no idea about the bus route. Hadn't even thought about that. If anyone finds out then it'd be interesting to know. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
looks like im joining you guys :smile: just firmed edinburgh too :smile:
Reckon the bus route to EB will cover most of the student flat locations? I dunno how I'm expecting yous to know anymore about me than this, sorry!

Original post by jen vet
Haha I'm exactly the same with looking at accomodation, its so exciting compared to biology coursework. :rolleyes: I thought pollock halls looked good because they're so massive so you'd be grouped with loads of people, but then I've heard that it's like boarding school (like, they get everything for you- bog roll etc :s-smilie: ), and there are no cooking facilities and the food is like canteen food at strict times. Plus you have to move out in non-term times and its pretty expensive and sounds like a lot less freedom than I have now. Soo, might apply for self catered and learn to cook. :tongue: Nooo idea where though, they all look pretty nice.

Have no idea about the bus route. Hadn't even thought about that. If anyone finds out then it'd be interesting to know. :smile:

Ahh well I might be able to help a bit cos I live in Edinburgh :smile:

Well, if you're talking about the public bus which routes out to the Dick Vet yeah?

If you are then I can probably tell you if certain accomodations are on/near the bus route, if you're talking bout the private coaches I might potentially be able to find out (I have been unable to get a straight answer out of vet students as to whether they use the public buses or laid on coahces for every day travel out to the EB) :smile:

Im pretty sure the last student I spoke to (on the bus ironically) said that the coach out there wasn't going to continue to run anymore - so I can definitely help with the public bus senarios cos I know the local bus routes quite well :tongue:

Just ask if you like, about certain halls :smile:

Jen - Pollock is lovely but it is probably (I am really rubbish at judging distances and walking time) 10-20ish minutes (depending on which part you'd live in) to the bus route out to the EB I would think (I'll ask someone more accurate in my family tomorrow :tongue: ). I'd kinda heard about the whole boarding school type impression too, on the positive side, it looks nice to live in, is close to Holyrood park/Arthurs Seat and the new Commonwealth leisure centre opens soon :biggrin:

Becky who comes on here lives there atm and she really likes it though :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
anyone know from current dick vet students which halls are the best ones to choose? any help you be veeery much appreciated as i have absolutely no idea which ones to go for... :smile:
Reply 37
Depends what you mean by "best". :tongue:

Close to the bus route to the university?

Close to the city center/pubs/shops/etc?

Cost?

Atmosphere e.g. lots of freshers vs. older (often quieter) students

Catered vs. self...

Quick Reply