Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone ever rejected an Oxbridge offer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone on TSR know of someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance or just rejected the offer outright? And why did they do it? I know Oxbridge doesn't appeal to everyone (Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL), but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.

ReputationRep:
    i know somebody who had cold feet and wanted to change his cambridge maths offer to Warwick

ReputationRep:
    My friend is planning to if he does get one I think. He only applied there because his parents made him and he likes the course more elsewhere.

*subscribes*

(Original post by Organ)
      i know somebody who had cold feet and wanted to change his cambridge maths offer to Warwick
      :eek::eek::eek: Not Cambridge Maths! :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      My brother did :shrugs: Got offers for Natural Sciences from Cambridge. He turned it down for Maths and Physics at Durham. He graduated last year, top of his year [in Masters maths, he dropped physics after first year].
      He just didn't feel like the Cambridge course was quite right for him, and he prefered the Durham college system.

edit: Why on earth did I get negged for this?! I'm simply stating the facts.... sheesh.
      edit x2: Aww shucks. Thanks guys :blush:

ReputationRep:
      I know a girl who rejected Cambridge because she was put in the all-girls college. Or at least that was the reason she gave. I think it was more because she was scared of the pressure (her parents put her under a lot of strain and I think she panicked at the last moment and clicked 'reject').

ReputationRep:
      One of the girls last year who got an Oxford offer decided to withdraw and go through the Open University, I think. I could be wrong though.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      Around two months ago, I was seriously contemplating doing this if I were to get an offer 'cos I didn't/still don't think that I can cope with the ridonkulous workload and pressurised environment.

I've kinda changed my mind now, but you never know...

ReputationRep:
      People do it every year: http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_univer...hool_type.html

Scroll to the bottom, it shows you the average of offers to types of school, and acceptances of those offers.

EDIT: Actually, it only shows maintained acceptances.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Muffinz)
      One of the girls last year who got an Oxford offer decided to withdraw and go through the Open University, I think. I could be wrong though.
      Wow, really? I guess she wanted to study at home. That's totally understandable though. I reckon there's too much pressure these days for people to move away for university. For (most) people it's a good thing, but for many it'd be better for them to stay home for just a few more years...

ReputationRep:
      My friend did
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      Yes, of course some people do. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was around 5% of offer-holders (and they take this into account with the number of offers they give out). Although the number of people on TSR who will claim to have rejected an Oxbridge offer or claim to personally know somebody who rejected one is probably stretching credibility a bit. Or maybe that's just me being cynical...:erm:

Edit: Oh, get a bloody grip, you muppets. I'm not disputing that people do reject Oxbridge offers, and I'm not accusing you personally of lying, I'm merely saying that it seems likely that *some people* on TSR are embellishing the truth a little, because the numbers don't really add up. That's all. And it's the truth, whether you like to hear it or not. Some people lie on the internet. Big deal.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      *subscribes*

:eek::eek::eek: Not Cambridge Maths! :facepalm2:
      Well it's not for everyone, it's quite an intense programme and I believe he found Cambridge too stuffy and formal - it's completely understandable. Absolute genius according to my chem teacher, maybe he made the clever choice

ReputationRep:
      I know a guy who was considerd to be 'Oxbridge mnterial' by his teahcers. He visited them both but was not keen on the atmosphere as he's a 'jack-the-lad' / party lad and found Oxbridge too stuffy / formal.

He wanted to study at a uni with a 'party atmosphere' so he applied Leeds Uni where he now attends. He's having the time of his life and partying non-stop. He says he doesn't regret not applying to Oxbridge. He is now on course to graduate with a first from Leeds!!!

ReputationRep:
      I know two, one who got in for natsci, but decided after applying he wanted to do physics, one who got in for maths, ended up doing maths and philosophy. Both at durham interestingly.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      I know one person who did.

Additionally, one of my teachers at school achieved top grades at A-Level but went to a university below his calibre as he wanted to graduate top of his class rather than be average.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Lad)
      I know a guy who was considerd to be 'Oxbridge mnterial' by his teahcers. He visited them both but was not keen on the atmosphere as he's a 'jack-the-lad' / party lad and found Oxbridge too stuffy / formal.

He wanted to study at a uni with a 'party atmosphere' so he applied Leeds Uni where he now attends. He's having the time of his life and partying non-stop. He says he doesn't regret not applying to Oxbridge. He is now on course to graduate with a first from Leeds!!!
      So he didn't reject an offer, he didn't apply at all.

ReputationRep:
      lad in my school rejected oxford as he got another offer from MIT in america, physics i think he did

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .ACS.)
      I know one person who did.

Additionally, one of my teachers at school achieved top grades at A-Level but went to a university below his calibre as he wanted to graduate top of his class rather than be average.
      Your teacher sounds like a right knob lol. Although the feeling of prestige/standing is all relative...numerous studies have shown that people would rather have less money and everyone around them poorer than everyone being equally richer...I suppose it's the same with grades/intelligence....maybe your teacher made the right decision

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mann18)
      So he didn't reject an offer, he didn't apply at all.

Yes.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.