Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Its my bf's birthday in the new year and I want to get him an iPod touch but I have no clue what the difference is between the 3rd and 4th generation? 3rd generation seems to be cheaper (presumably because its older) but I guess the 4th gen would be better?! I have no clue in the spec differences and what you can and cant do on them both?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    Hey!
    Its my bf's birthday in the new year and I want to get him an iPod touch but I have no clue what the difference is between the 3rd and 4th generation? 3rd generation seems to be cheaper (presumably because its older) but I guess the 4th gen would be better?! I have no clue in the spec differences and what you can and cant do on them both?

I have both (my old 3rd gen stopped playing music out of one ear and played music quieter )

the 4th one has two cameras... but the one which faces you I never use... I thought I could use it for Skype or something? but nah. - so that feature is kinda useless. You can only video call someone who also have the iPod4th gen or the iPhone4... I sometimes use the other one... The screen's a lot more clearer than the iPod 3rd gen. You can change the background on it (which I actually surprisingly thing makes it look a lot better)
    there's a Mic in the 4th gen which comes with voice control and stuff...

But tbh, I'd just go for the 3rd gen unless your bf likes to take random photos and doesn't have a camera on his phone?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    Hey!

You might find this page helpful: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/0...ns-comparison/

ReputationRep:
    get him the latest one. its just a cycle.
    there will be a new one shortly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    I have both (my old 3rd gen stopped playing music out of one ear and played music quieter )
    Huh, I've had a second gen one for two years and this happened in the left ear about month ago. I thought it could be the earphones breaking rather than the actual iPod, as the padding is falling apart and there is a small hole in it. Want new earphones for Christmas, partly for better quality and partly this, so it might be that.

ReputationRep:
    4th gen is definitely better. It's much faster for playing games and using applications, the screen is much higher res and therefore better, it has two cameras (a front-facing one for video calls and a rear one for shooting HD video), has the newest software update and it's also slimmer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting it hopefully it'll get here soon I'm so excited to find out more about it's features.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.student)
    get him the latest one. its just a cycle.
    there will be a new one shortly.
    True, but it'll still be a little while until the next version - the new iPod range tends to be announced each September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheepmaster317)
    Huh, I've had a second gen one for two years and this happened in the left ear about month ago. I thought it could be the earphones breaking rather than the actual iPod, as the padding is falling apart and there is a small hole in it. Want new earphones for Christmas, partly for better quality and partly this, so it might be that.
    I tried new earphones and it didn't work
    When I waggled the bottom bit of the ear phones.. like the base part that connects it to the ipod... it kinda worked... which made me think of the pins that connects the ipod to the earphones was bent..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    I tried new earphones and it didn't work
    When I waggled the bottom bit of the ear phones.. like the base part that connects it to the ipod... it kinda worked... which made me think of the pins that connects the ipod to the earphones was bent..
    Ugh, well getting these new earphones might be a waste of time then

Atleast they should be better quality than the standard Apple ones though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheepmaster317)
    Ugh, well getting these new earphones might be a waste of time then

Atleast they should be better quality than the standard Apple ones though
    Hmm.
    My friend had the same problem as us and she baught new earphones and it worked.
    Guess it's like a flip of a coin.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Btw, the skype app got updated and now you can do video calls on the iPod.

ReputationRep:
    But definitely do not buy it if your boyfriend owns a lot of music.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.