The Student Room Group

If you met someone at university...

Anon because I don't want to be recognised by people I know, haha. But anyway I've never been in a serious relationship and wouldn't say I have much experience in that department... And I don't think that's going to change before I go to university next year and, not going to lie, I am quite nervous that people might think differently of me because I'm pretty much an inexperienced virgin. It's not that I'm completely hideous; I've had offers of relationships in the past, but I guess it's never really been anyone that I particularly liked and didn't see the point of a relationship just for the sake of it... Too much hassle! And likewise, it's not that I'm prudish or anything. I mean, I'm not one of those girls that has all these high expectations, wanting it to be perfect. I don't mind being a virgin, I'm just waiting till I'm comfortable with the right person, and it feels right... So anyway:

Long story short, not just about me but also in general: If you met someone at university who was attractive, with a good personality and you really liked them, would it impact your opinion of them if you found out they'd never been in a relationship before? If they were inexperienced and didn't really know what they're doing? Would you not want to be with them, and find someone better? It just seems to me that you hear about all those people going crazy at freshers week, hooking up with people... Ha, not sure where I would fit into that.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Anon because I don't want to be recognised by people I know, haha. But anyway I've never been in a serious relationship and wouldn't say I have much experience in that department... And I don't think that's going to change before I go to university next year and, not going to lie, I am quite nervous that people might think differently of me because I'm pretty much an inexperienced virgin. It's not that I'm completely hideous; I've had offers of relationships in the past, but I guess it's never really been anyone that I particularly liked and didn't see the point of a relationship just for the sake of it... Too much hassle! And likewise, it's not that I'm prudish or anything. I mean, I'm not one of those girls that has all these high expectations, wanting it to be perfect. I don't mind being a virgin, I'm just waiting till I'm comfortable with the right person, and it feels right... So anyway:

Long story short, not just about me but also in general: If you met someone at university who was attractive, with a good personality and you really liked them, would it impact your opinion of them if you found out they'd never been in a relationship before? If they were inexperienced and didn't really know what they're doing? Would you not want to be with them, and find someone better? It just seems to me that you hear about all those people going crazy at freshers week, hooking up with people... Ha, not sure where I would fit into that.

no just no :facepalm2:

Reply 3

If anything I'd like them more, not sure why... would just seem to make the whole relationship more special.
Reply 5

Reply 6
my sister just started uni in September and is now back for the xmas holidays.

we're close and she doesn't mind telling me things like this..
basically she was in the same position as you and was a virgin when she went to uni. she said at freshers week she had 3 opportunities for sex in 2 days and that at first she felt nervous and refused but by the end of the week she thought, f*** it, might as well get the experience and went for it - she said as slutty as it sounded it didnt matter because everyone was doing the same thing and she was glad she did because she later on found someone she really liked and now theyre going out :smile: he knew she wasnt very experienced but he found this a turn on as he was able to 'teach her things'.

she's very happy and doesnt regret it basically :smile:

Nope, wouldnt affect it in the slighest. I'm a guy who lacks experience in that department too btw :wink:
Reply 8
Seeing as i would be in the same boat as them i wouldn't really give a ****.
Reply 9
Original post by fksie
my sister just started uni in September and is now back for the xmas holidays.

we're close and she doesn't mind telling me things like this..
basically she was in the same position as you and was a virgin when she went to uni. she said at freshers week she had 3 opportunities for sex in 2 days and that at first she felt nervous and refused but by the end of the week she thought, f*** it, might as well get the experience and went for it - she said as slutty as it sounded it didnt matter because everyone was doing the same thing and she was glad she did because she later on found someone she really liked and now theyre going out :smile: he knew she wasnt very experienced but he found this a turn on as he was able to 'teach her things'.

she's very happy and doesnt regret it basically :smile:

that's quite reassuring :smile: thanks for being honest as well! it's nice that it's worked out with someone she really likes :smile:

however i'm not quite sure why people above keep posting the same thing... not very helpful. i'd rather you didn't answer than just spammed, thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by Mister Bean
If anything I'd like them more, not sure why... would just seem to make the whole relationship more special.

Nope, wouldnt affect it in the slighest. I'm a guy who lacks experience in that department too btw :wink:

Original post by A_rondizzle
Seeing as i would be in the same boat as them i wouldn't really give a ****.

I like you people :smile:
Well I haven't had a bf before & I'm still a virgin (obviously) & I'll be going to Uni next Sept..I'm hoping to meet a guy there (not to have a one night stand or something, but an actual proper relationship)! & actually, I think I'd prefer for the guy to not have as much experience with girls!, we could be confused (at what to do) together!! :smile:
Reply 12
I went to uni in September and none of my flatmates or anyone I knew ended up having sex in the first week! Neither has anyone in my flat brought any girls/guys back! And we are all sociable, and yes a few of them have already got bf/gfs/found someone at uni...I guess freshers just wasn't about having sex, and more about having fun and making friends!

I guess what i'm trying to say is don't get pressured into sex if you don't feel right with it. I've had an amazing first semester without having sex with random guys, and i've found a guy I really like who I was friends with first :smile: You will find someone and it doesn't matter that you're a virgin, loads of people go to uni as one so don't worry :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending