Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which country/organisation will be the first on Mars? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (sorry dunno where to put this so put it here since i thought the tech thread was for computer problems and shiz)

So who will be first on Mars? Will it be an International mission?

It might be China or India or any other country but I doubt it will be the EU or the US.

Bear in mind this is probably by around 2030ish (guess).

The US under Obama stopped funding a planned manned mission to Mars on the basis that it is not cost-effective and the money could be spent on health reforms and war etc.

Just want to know what you people think

[Also to extend the question, what about a colony/base on the Moon or Mars?]

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna put myself out there and say Burkina Faso. Just a hunch.

ReputationRep:
    China could bond with India and they could form a people pyramid.

ReputationRep:
    Probably will be a joint mission with the esa/nasa/rfsa and on the other side the chinese and indians seperately trying to reach it themselves.

Swaziland.

ReputationRep:
      I still think that the US will, at the very least, play a major role. NASA has so much expertise.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sandys1000)
      I still think that the US will, at the very least, play a major role. NASA has so much expertise.

I agree

ReputationRep:
      ESA NASA collaboration.

ReputationRep:
      UAC.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Chengis)
      (sorry dunno where to put this so put it here since i thought the tech thread was for computer problems and shiz)

It might be China or India or any other country but I doubt it will be the EU or the US.

The US under Obama stopped funding a planned manned mission to Mars on the basis that it is not cost-effective and the money could be spent on health reforms and war etc.

Love the juxtaposition there :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      The great peoples' republic of China

or the Future Combined and strengthened Soviet Russia

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sandys1000)
      It won't make it, because it lacks the funding. They've scrapped plans to go to the Moon by 2020, so I really doubt they'll be the first to make it to Mars.

It could be Russia, because they have loads of experience during the Space Race, and I bet they'll want to be the first on Mars. But I wouldn't rule out the Chinese either - money's no object as far as they're concerned.

I somehow don't think it will be a joint mission - there's just too much competition and rivalry at stake, so it is going to be an Asian country. America could try, but they'll probably have to settle for a film set in rural Nevada.

ReputationRep:
      india/china

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by swahmad)
      UAC.
      :awesome:

Anyway, going to Mars with a manned mission is considerably more complex than going to the Moon or LEO. Interplanetary radiation exposure, a freezing cold environment with the potential for huge spontaneous storms, and limited access to vital resources. It would also be extremely expensive, far too expensive for any one country to reasonably stump up the whole price, even the United States, or in 20 years China.

My bet it will either be an alliance of corporations looking to exploit Martian minerals, or an intergovernmental mission including NASA, the ESA, ISRO, RKA, CSA and many others.

Also, Obama didn't cancel the aim of going to Mars, in fact NASA now has more funding (slightly more anyway) and is tasked with getting humans out of low earth orbit rather than just shuttling humans between the Earth and the ISS. Obama cancelled the Constellation program because it was so expensive and offered extremely minimal returns, but NASA is now working on a substitute system and has been directed to contract out ISS service missions to private corporations. The first spacecraft - Dragon, owned by SpaceX - launched successfully on a dummy run earlier this month for a fraction of the price of a normal Soyuz or Shuttle launch.

Most space missions are international nowadays so it will not be just one country. Anyway, landing on Mars and exploring space are two different things. We can never explore space if we are not united as a planet, so it will take decades to succeed in this.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Chengis)

No need for that.I have been there already.Human incapacity is beyond me(avatar pic)
        Al right coming back to topic:
        You sure (bold font) ?

ReputationRep:
        India, using the aid money they get from Britain.

So technically, Britain

ReputationRep:
        Tesco

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Seasick Steve)
        It won't make it, because it lacks the funding. They've scrapped plans to go to the Moon by 2020, so I really doubt they'll be the first to make it to Mars.

It could be Russia, because they have loads of experience during the Space Race, and I bet they'll want to be the first on Mars. But I wouldn't rule out the Chinese either - money's no object as far as they're concerned.

I somehow don't think it will be a joint mission - there's just too much competition and rivalry at stake, so it is going to be an Asian country. America could try, but they'll probably have to settle for a film set in rural Nevada.
        The situation could change in the future, and it could receive additional funding. I just don't see Russia doing it. The Soyuz might be great, but I'm not convinced they have the technical ability any more.

ReputationRep:
        I think Tesco might be the first company there. They're gonna start with a Tesco Express shop, once there is enough demand, they will move on to Tesco Extra stores.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.