Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C1....chapter 6? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    on page 94 it says
    (You could be asked to prove these formula) What does it mean

its the formula for the sum of an arithmetic series

ReputationRep:
    It means in the C1 Exam a question could say derive the formula for the sum of a series. You must be able to start from simple equations and work your way to finding the equation for the sum. You must be able to show it all on paper too
    • PS Helper

It means that you could be asked to show, for example, that the nth term of an arithmetic sequence with initial term a and common difference d is a+(n-1)d, or that the nth partial sum is na + \dfrac{n(n-1)}{2}d, etc... that is, you might have to derive these results rather than quoting them.

ReputationRep:
    just memorise the way they derive. It's quite easy actually, consider it a gift if it does come up

(Original post by ilyking)
      just memorise the way they derive. It's quite easy actually, consider it a gift if it does come up
      What if they word it differently?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Then it depends on how smart OP or other people are to spot what the question means + think outside the box and find other methods of deriving it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      They can't really, if they ask you to derive you just derive. You can't really twist it and make it complicated if you know what I mean

if it does ask you to derive but not directly telling you, just spot it and then derive

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nuodai)
      It means that you could be asked to show, for example, that the nth term of an arithmetic sequence with initial term a and common difference d is a+(n-1)d, or that the nth partial sum is na + \dfrac{n(n-1)}{2}d, etc... that is, you might have to derive these results rather than quoting them.
      The version of the sum of n terms most often used in C1 is 0.5n(2a+(n-1)d)

(Original post by tiny hobbit)
        That's what I thought. I don't think the other formula is the "Edexcel" version.

ReputationRep:
        What exam board is this?
        • PS Helper

They're the same, so I doubt it matters :p: I find writing it as na + \dfrac{n(n-1)}{2}d easier to remember (and easier to derive), since it emphasises that you've got n lots of the initial term and (1+2+...+n-1) lots of the common difference. The factorised form sort of garbles this information.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by nuodai)
        They're the same, so I doubt it matters :p: I find writing it as na + \dfrac{n(n-1)}{2}d easier to remember (and easier to derive), since it emphasises that you've got n lots of the initial term and (1+2+...+n-1) lots of the common difference. The factorised form sort of garbles this information.
        Yes they're the same, but I thought that it would be helpful in a thread about C1 to give the version that C1 students would be familiar with and that they get given in their formula book.

ReputationRep:
        So...how exactly do you derive it from 0.5n(a+l)?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
        So...how exactly do you derive it from 0.5n(a+l)?
        l is the last term i.e. the nth term which is a+(n-1)d. Replace l with this and you're there. I take it you have derived 0.5(a+l)?

ReputationRep:
        l is the last term i.e. the nth term which is a+(n-1)d. Replace l with this and you're there. I take it you have derived 0.5(a+l)?
        No, that's the bit I can't do

ReputationRep:
        No, that's the bit I can't do
        Sn = a + (a+d) + (a+2d).......+(a+(n-1)d)
        Then reverse it:
        Sn = (a+(n-1)d) +..................+a
        When you add the 2 lines together you get
        2Sn = (2a+(n-1)d)+(2a+(n-1)d)..... (n times)
        =n(2a+(n-1)d)
        Then divide by 2
        Sn = 0.5n(.....)

ReputationRep:
        Ah, I see...though I wish we did sequences in class...>_<

ReputationRep:
        Ah, I see...though I wish we did sequences in class...>_<
        Which board are you doing? Are you sure that Arithmetic Series are in your specification? They are in Edexcel C1 but not until C2 for OCR (I haven't checked the others).

ReputationRep:
        They'll say something like this: prove that the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic series with first term a and common difference d is given by \frac12n[2a+(n-1)d] (or \frac{n}{2}[2a+(n-1)d]). It is a simple proof.

ReputationRep:
        Which board are you doing? Are you sure that Arithmetic Series are in your specification? They are in Edexcel C1 but not until C2 for OCR (I haven't checked the others).
        I'm doing Edexcel...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.