Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i'm going to get £70 a week and my accommodation is sorted
    although i'm currently working at Sainsburys and there is a highish chance that i'll be able to be transferred to a sainsburys in my uni's town.
    if i do work ill have to work 12 hours minimum and ill be earning about £70 a week

but my question is, do i really need £140 a week? - is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    You could put the other £70 a week into savings for when you've graduated, or to treat yourself. If you think you can manage your uni work, social life and Sainsburys then I'd say keep your job and transfer. You could always try it for awhile and then quit if you feel it's too much work or you don't think it's necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    You could put the other £70 a week into savings for when you've graduated, or to treat yourself. If you think you can manage your uni work, social life and Sainsburys then I'd say keep your job and transfer. You could always try it for awhile and then quit if you feel it's too much work or you don't think it's necessary.
    thanks for your help
    i guess im just worried a job will get in the way

ReputationRep:
    MONEY is worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    anyone else?
    Most people I know have jobs and are at uni, 12 hours a week isn't much, it's worth doing I'd say? Plus, it is harder to get jobs now, and some jobs that typically hire students are awkward hours, I'd say see how it goes for a while and if you don't want to then quit? I'd say at least try it? What've you got to loose?

ReputationRep:
    although i'm currently working at Sainsburys and there is a highish chance that i'll be able to be transferred to a sainsburys in my uni's town.
    if i do work ill have to work 12 hours minimum and ill be earning about £70 a week

Try private prostitution! You could earn up to £50 an hour or even more!!! Plus: It's fun too. What else you want? Fun, and quick money, and no hard efforts at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    Try private prostitution! You could earn up to £50 an hour or even more!!! Plus: It's fun too. What else you want? Fun, and quick money, and no hard efforts at all?
    no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for everyones help

ReputationRep:

Well I am at uni and I work but I also live at home.

I used to work in a shop and did atleast 8 hours a week, but it was a weekend thing.

Now I work for the university itself and its very flexable.

I assume you will be in halls your first year, if so are you catered or not? If you are £70 will definatly enough, if not you could still make it work.

I agree with what others are saying, it might be worth sticking with the job and trying it out for a while, you could always quit if you find it isn't worth it or takes up to much time.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    MONEY is worth it
    good point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    Well I am at uni and I work but I also live at home.

I used to work in a shop and did atleast 8 hours a week, but it was a weekend thing.

Now I work for the university itself and its very flexable.

I assume you will be in halls your first year, if so are you catered or not? If you are £70 will definatly enough, if not you could still make it work.

I agree with what others are saying, it might be worth sticking with the job and trying it out for a while, you could always quit if you find it isn't worth it or takes up to much time.

x
    i wont be catered, do you think that 70 wont be enough?

ReputationRep:
    anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    i wont be catered, do you think that 70 wont be enough?
    £70 could easily work. My boyfriend lives in self catered halls (and its his second year) and i'm sure he lives on less than that a week.

You just need to learn to be careful with your money.

For example, if you buy a bag of pasta, buy the biggest one that will last ages, same for all food that lasts ages, but keep an eye out sometimes its not cheaper to buy the largest one, especially with cereal.
    Buy a shops own make rather than the more expensive alternative.
    Keep and eye out for offers.
    If you drink, try drinking before you go out, then you don't have to buy drink whilst your out, I have had some good nights out spending only a couple of pounds.
    If you live so far from your lectures that you will have times when you can't go back home for lunch take it with you as it will probably be alot cheaper than buying stuff.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah might aswell. Extra bit of income won't hurt. 12hours isn't much (like 6 hours a day on a weekend). And it will help you prioritise your time more.

But if you feel it's affecting your studies at some point, for example during exam or what ever then quit or take temporary leave.

ReputationRep:

I tried to transfer from Sainsburys last year, when I moved from brighton to leeds, they were dicks about it and after being told it was fine and moving, I went to my new store to be told someone else had taken my position so I was forced to resign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    £70 could easily work. My boyfriend lives in self catered halls (and its his second year) and i'm sure he lives on less than that a week.

You just need to learn to be careful with your money.

For example, if you buy a bag of pasta, buy the biggest one that will last ages, same for all food that lasts ages, but keep an eye out sometimes its not cheaper to buy the largest one, especially with cereal.
    Buy a shops own make rather than the more expensive alternative.
    Keep and eye out for offers.
    If you drink, try drinking before you go out, then you don't have to buy drink whilst your out, I have had some good nights out spending only a couple of pounds.
    If you live so far from your lectures that you will have times when you can't go back home for lunch take it with you as it will probably be alot cheaper than buying stuff.
    x
    thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Yeah might aswell. Extra bit of income won't hurt. 12hours isn't much (like 6 hours a day on a weekend). And it will help you prioritise your time more.

But if you feel it's affecting your studies at some point, for example during exam or what ever then quit or take temporary leave.
    true true, i work 12 hours now 4 hours at a time, 8 hours in the weekdays and go to school (sixth form) 5 days a week 8:30 - 3:30 so i guess i can cope. I'll probably save money and quit in the third year just because i can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    I tried to transfer from Sainsburys last year, when I moved from brighton to leeds, they were dicks about it and after being told it was fine and moving, I went to my new store to be told someone else had taken my position so I was forced to resign
    :O well hopefully that doesn't happen to me
    2/3 of the people that work at my sainsburys managed to transfer, my sainsburys is used to students though so are happy to help, and maybe they were just lucky with their transfer stores.

ReputationRep:
    :O well hopefully that doesn't happen to me
    2/3 of the people that work at my sainsburys managed to transfer, my sainsburys is used to students though so are happy to help, and maybe they were just lucky with their transfer stores.
    Fingers crossed my HR department was useless it took 7 weeks to get them to help arrange it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    Fingers crossed my HR department was useless it took 7 weeks to get them to help arrange it
    for some reason the people in HR seem to like me, so hopefully they'll help me..
    i really want to get trained on checkouts though, can't go any longer on counters :ashamed2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.