Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£800+ 'missing', retailer say nothing they can do! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Please help!

I purchased a new PC for Uni and I use my debit card for everything, I'm with Barclays.

• I buy PC from retailer
    • I get charged, money is gone from account
    • Several hours later I get message saying it's been 'voided' due to being out of stock
    • 1 week later there is still a 800+ gap in my online banking status, bank says contact retailer
    • I contact retailer and today (2 weeks) they say they never recieved money in the first place, and I need to contact bank as they hadn't processed it so they'd be 'holding' the money

I'm getting really worried now the retailer is trusted & legit and now theres a huge gap in my finance and I don't want to enter this neverending loop trying to get my money back..

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deolol)
    Please help!

I purchased a new PC for Uni and I use my debit card for everything, I'm with Barclays.

• I buy PC from retailer
    • I get charged, money is gone from account
    • Several hours later I get message saying it's been 'voided' due to being out of stock
    • 1 week later there is still a 800+ gap in my online banking status, bank says contact retailer
    • I contact retailer and today (2 weeks) they say they never recieved money in the first place, and I need to contact bank as they hadn't processed it so they'd be 'holding' the money

I'm getting really worried now the retailer is trusted & legit and now theres a huge gap in my finance and I don't want to enter this neverending loop trying to get my money back..

Any advice?
    rob them

ReputationRep:
    Maybe do what they suggest and contact the bank? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    You got robbed up nicely.

What is the retailer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Maybe do what they suggest and contact the bank? :facepalm:
    Didnt you read?

The bank says its the retailers fault..

ReputationRep:
    Speak with your bank again as soon as possible. Speak with the retailer too. Keep a record of the names and dates of everyone that you speak to (both bank and retailer) and also make a note of the main points of the conversations you have with them. If neither the bank nor the retailer will help you, speak with someone like Citizen's advice bureau, you must have some protection under law regarding this sort of situation. If all else fails threaten the retailer with the police. Someone has taken your £800 and you have not received either the goods or a refund - I would say that's the fault of the retailer and if they are saying they have sent you a refund it's up to them to prove it. If you are a young person, get someone like your mum or dad to support you with this. Do not give up that's a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deolol)
    Didnt you read?

The bank says its the retailers fault..
    I read that bit. Have you contacted the bank after the retailer told you today that they don't have the money because the bank is holding it?

ReputationRep:
    Call your bank and make them find out if the transaction went through. If it has, tell them it was a mistake and you need the money repaid to you but the retailer refuses, saying they haven't received it.

It's probably the bank's **** up. Make them sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    You have proof on your bank statement that you're £800 short so either the bank or the retailer has to legally refund your money.
    You'll get it back don't worry. Just be prepared to go through a load of technicalities and long phone calls.

As previously suggested contact the bank and tell them what the retailer said. They should take further action then.
    Either the retailer or the bank HAS to have your money and its logical that there has to be a record somewhere of who has it.

If it has indeed left your account, and you can see the transaction listed under you online banking account (actually listed, not just the amount deducted from your balance) then dispute this with your bank and ask them to initiate a chargeback. I believe that's the fastest way to get the money back in to your account.

Once you've explained the whole situation to your bank, you paid for goods which weren't provided, they'll [or should] work with the retailers' bank in getting the money back, whether it's in their account, or lost in the 'system'. Most retailers get arsey when chargebacks are issued. However, chargebacks only work when a charge has been actually been made. And if the retailer is confident that no charge was made [they weren't paid] then they shouldn't worry about a chargeback.

ReputationRep:
      PC world?

My Mum had an issue with them a fair few years ago. She spend about £600-800 on a computer and had the same issue of the retailer saying they never got the money, but the money being gone and the bank saying it was the retailers problem. After contacting the retailer again and them denying they had the money she contacted her bank and in the end they were helpful and got the fraud department involved. It was clear the money had left her account and so in the end they had a three-way phone call where my Mum made her case to PC world. They denied the details she was giving them then the women from the fraud department just interrupted, explained who she was and the problem about this fraud case. PC world surprisingly changed it's tone and miraculously they found the money within minutes..:rolleyes:

so basically keep hounding your bank. They should be able to confirm what's happened and should help you. An alternative is that VISA debit cards can do charge backs I believe...so you could try discussing that with the bank.

ReputationRep:
      get proof of the transaction from the bank, a hard copy, go to the retailer and ask to speak to the manager (insist on this if they say no), explain your situation, provide the evidence, ask what he/she will do about it, ask for a letter/email confirming what he/she intends to do if it is something that takes time, if they say they can't do anything ask for a copy of their records that shows no transaction was made (there should be a record of your order and of it being voided and of your payment or lack of) keep a hard copy of anything that happens

if the retailer is particularly uncooperative tell them you're talking to the paper, and then do it, should speed things up

good luck

similar thing happened to me except i had both accounts and was transferring money, still took two months to sort it out, turned out to be a typing error and they put the money into someone elses account

ReputationRep:
      Play it simple. Ring up PC World (or whomever it is). Tell them that they have the money, they have recieved it, and you have proof. Ask them what they're going to do about it, and don't take no for an answer. Furthermore, just keep pushing, asking to talk to managers/supervisors/whatever. Be as rude as you must, it gets things done.

ReputationRep:
      You Should have a email confirming your order is successfull. Keep this as proof and ring up the retailer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joey11223)
      PC world?

My Mum had an issue with them a fair few years ago. She spend about £600-800 on a computer and had the same issue of the retailer saying they never got the money, but the money being gone and the bank saying it was the retailers problem. After contacting the retailer again and them denying they had the money she contacted her bank and in the end they were helpful and got the fraud department involved. It was clear the money had left her account and so in the end they had a three-way phone call where my Mum made her case to PC world. They denied the details she was giving them then the women from the fraud department just interrupted, explained who she was and the problem about this fraud case. PC world surprisingly changed it's tone and miraculously they found the money within minutes..:rolleyes:

so basically keep hounding your bank. They should be able to confirm what's happened and should help you. An alternative is that VISA debit cards can do charge backs I believe...so you could try discussing that with the bank.
      Good God, that's shocking. That implies that they had the money and were just planning on keeping it and lying, until a bank got involved. How do they think they'll get away with it?!

ReputationRep:
      What retailer is it, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
      Talk to both citizen's advice and Trading Standards if neither the bank or retailer will take responsibility.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.