The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry - hard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Part A
What is this thing I heard that at the beginning of the A-level course, the teachers tell you that everything you learnt at GCSE is wrong?

And You will hear that again as a first Year undergrad :P
Reply 41
How would you recommend learning everything if not straight from a book? Because I find that if I read something through a couple of times I will have forgotten in 2 days time.
Reply 42
How would you recommend revising and relearning chemistry if not just reading from a book? I find that if I read through a book a couple of times then I will have forgotten it with 3 days.
its doable
Original post by Part A
Our school does the AQA specification at A-level and I'm considering taking it along with Business (Pre-U), Economics & RS.

What's it like to study? big workload? I'm doing well at GCSE but I realise that it's a big step up to AS chemistry. How much Maths is involved? (formulas e.t.c)...

Thanks in advance.

Its good if you like logical things as in one thing leads to another. Its straightforward if you do the work and work hard. I'm on my A2 atm and what I think makes it quite hard is that people lose easy marks cos of the specificity which is required at A level
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Part A
what about the ISA? what does that involve, is it similar to the GCSE ISA as I hate those? x

ISA is similar to gcse in respect to there being a practical and written paper, at AS these are both pretty easy, the experiment will be clearly written in steps which you just have to follow. The paper is naturally more challenging than gcse but nothing to worry about.
Reply 46
Original post by Crofty136
How would you recommend learning everything if not straight from a book? Because I find that if I read something through a couple of times I will have forgotten in 2 days time.

if you don't remember it, it's probably because you haven't understood what you are reading, and if you're bad at just mindlessly regurgitating the information then I'd suggest that you go over the specification properly to ensure that you can grasp the concepts.
going over past papers is a good way to do this, you'll also notice that the same types of questions come up time and time again. if you can follow the working (for calculations) and acknowledge the boxes that they want you to tick in terms of the written answers, this will enable you to score more highly.

Quick Reply

Latest