Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any Hebrew applicants for 2011 entry on here?

I have applied for Hebrew at Manchester and UCL along with Russian and have an acknowledgement from UCL and an Interview at Manchester!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samuelv-37)
    Any Hebrew applicants for 2011 entry on here?

I have applied for Hebrew at Manchester and UCL along with Russian and have an acknowledgement from UCL and an Interview at Manchester!
    Woohoo, interview, congrats! Let me know who interviewed you . Just make sure you turn up, smart clothes aren't needed (to be fair, I always find people in their nice shirts and trousers a bit silly and out of place :p:), just wear what you'd wear everyday, and be relaxed. You'll get a tour of the university, if you've still got questions after your open day, let me know, a little presentation of the university and the school of languages, a break with biscuits and drinks (if they still have the same biscuits, the oat cookies are the best).

The interview should be between 20/30min, iirc, and it will basically be about your motivation, your interests, why Manchester, why this degree, why these languages, etc. Unfortunately you will only see the Hebrew side of things, and won't have the chance to meet the awesomest lecturer ever, but it doesn't differ to much from the Hebrew side, and if you've got questions, I'm here :p:.

Make sure you do link your two languages (seriously, not very difficult given the amount of Russian speakers in Israel!), and just try to appear clever enough for a short time. A fact I hear regularly is that around 90% of applicants getting an interview also get a place, and I guess the last 10% didn't bother turning up, or were clearly not the right candidates!

Have a look at the handbooks and the module lists, we managed to get new modules for Russian and some are really interesting. Apart from the 1st year, you will be able to take 20 free credits in any other subject in the faculty of Humanities be it Business or Urdu.

I think that's about it, sorry for the novel, but if really you have questions, don't hesitate, I was doing the open days for both the Middle Eastern Studies and the Russian Studies side, so I know pretty much everything there is to know, now! finally, good luck with the rest of your application!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.