Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am currently a first year law student (LLB) however I am hating the course and will be reapplying through UCAS this year. I have left it very last minute due to revising etc so any help would be great!!

I am applying to Nottingham and Manchester. Where are other good universities for english literature? (I have decided not to apply to exeter, southampton or london universities, and have missed the oxbridge deadline) Which are renowned for english lit? (The league tables change from paper to paper so i have lost trust in these!)
    I wanted to do it joint with politics, however I can't find many good unis that offer this... My other option would be to apply for philosophy and politics.

My alevels (aaa) were in law, religious studies and english literature, and i got straight as at gcse.

Any opinions about the course would be great, if you are studying english lit at degree level currently please let me know where you are studying

Also, what would be good to put in a personal statement for english lit? It's been years since I wrote mine and I am without teacher help this time, so it's all very scary! I can't transfer internally at my university so this is my only chance to change course!

Thank you in advance!

x

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that you hated Law (what were your reasons?), however you're right to choose something you'll enjoy.

I think Queen Mary's is very good for English, and you could also try UCL.

Why not try Cambridge too? It's beautiful there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anix)
    Hello!

I am currently a first year law student (LLB) however I am hating the course and will be reapplying through UCAS this year. I have left it very last minute due to revising etc so any help would be great!!

I am applying to Nottingham and Manchester. Where are other good universities for english literature? (I have decided not to apply to exeter, southampton or london universities, and have missed the oxbridge deadline) Which are renowned for english lit? (The league tables change from paper to paper so i have lost trust in these!)
    I wanted to do it joint with politics, however I can't find many good unis that offer this... My other option would be to apply for philosophy and politics.

My alevels (aaa) were in law, religious studies and english literature, and i got straight as at gcse.

Any opinions about the course would be great, if you are studying english lit at degree level currently please let me know where you are studying

Also, what would be good to put in a personal statement for english lit? It's been years since I wrote mine and I am without teacher help this time, so it's all very scary! I can't transfer internally at my university so this is my only chance to change course!

Thank you in advance!

x
    Hey,

I think York and Durham are meant to be really good for English
    I'm studying Eng Lit at Huddersfield (first year) and am finding it really enjoyable. There are some language modules that I'm finding a tad tricky (I didn't do language at a-level) but they really add to the course. There's a lot of reading to do but this shouldn't be a problem if you've been doing law

As for your personal statement, I guess asside from the general personal statement type things - your personality etc... I'd put what kind of books you enjoy reading/studying and why (but not too much) Why you would be suited to this course and the reason for applying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anix)
    Hello!

Thank you in advance!

x
    York and Durham are fantastic Universities for English, and Leeds has an excellent English department too. I'm a second-year studying English Lit at Manchester and I'm really enjoying it - the compulsory modules in first year are a bit painful (Contexts of Writing, Mapping the Medieval, etc) but I think that will be the case for any Lit degree, and the 2nd year options are better by far. The 'Jamestown to James Brown' module I picked for this semester has been the best thing I've studied here, and I'm looking forward to all my semester 2 modules. Obviously, the course has very few contact hours (6) and it can feel like your money isn't paying for much, but that's the nature of the beast when it comes to arts courses really.

If you have any more questions please feel free to drop me a PM x

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English (and French) at Nottingham!

ReputationRep:
    York, Nottingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, Durham, Leeds and Sussex (if you like very modern lit) are all very good options for English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an English student at Manchester and the course is absolutely cracking.

Manchester wasn't my first choice, but I turned down an offer from York to go to Manchester and I definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I'm so glad that I picked this course, it's immense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.