Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

High school isn't so bad. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Let me start out by saying that I'm not the most popular teen at my school, neither am I the least popular, I'm just average like most people. Is it just me, or does it seem like the media usually makes high school out to be the worst years of most people's lives. I however have not experienced that in my three and a half years in high school. I go to a normal public high school without school uniforms just like everyone else. And I was never really picked on or made fun of, nor did I see it happen a lot to other people. Everyone just got along fine, sure we'd have a few fights a year at my suburban high school, but other than that, nothing bad ever happened. Sure, people fought over girls, but that didn't usually escalate into violence, and sometimes girls would criticize each other over stupid stuff.

It doesn't matter what clique or sub-culture you're a part of, or even if you're a part of one at all, everyone intermingles and has friends in each group. And really only three students (out of over 2000) at my high school have been made fun of extensively, one of whom is obsessed with the Byzantine Empire and lets his obsession get in the way of his social life, the other two just act really strange. No one gets made fun of social classes really here. I assume that this is the same at MOST (not all) other high schools.

I don't understand it, in movies and what-not high school is always depicted as a place where teens always get thrown in lockers and beat up for lunch money, but that stuff just never happens here. My dad told me he got made fun of a lot when he went to high school. But I never get made fun of, except the occasional joke like "yeah, because you're such a conceited *******" or something stupid like that.

I love high school, and sure, the American education system has a few problems, but all things considered, it's the best in the world. In America if you want to succeed, you succeed. If you want to fail and be a high school drop out who works at McDonald's your entire life, you can do that to. That's one of many things that makes America so great. Has high school changed since it used to be in the old days, especially with modern technology, teens just get along better and everything since everyone has a Facebook pretty much and they all get to know each other better than they could before? Or why is it that high school has this false image of negativity around it? So, please share what your high school is/was like, and whether or not you enjoy/enjoyed it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.