Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Heartburn or am I just getting pain as I am fat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 27 now and been overweight for 3 years but only obese in the last 18 months or so.

Since I became obese I feel lethargic a lot but thats not the issue here.

If I eat certain foods, I get this mild chesty/heart uncomfortableness, not quite pain but not great either, feels like I have lifted loads of shopping bags up a few steps(not an entire flight)

I only notice this in evening but its only in the evening I really eat my food for the day, and some days I dont really notice it.

Was away at parents for a week and only noticed it once and that was a day my parents had a weekly treat which was a about 1/3 of a SFC family box which of course would of been processed and fatty and the rest of the week my dad cooked home cooked meals from scratch(including home made soups and stews) and I never felt the pain once till last night.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like you might have a gastric ulcer or just acid (indigestion) - either way, try some gaviscon and see how that goes

it's a bit hard to tell you what it could be on a forum though, really you might wanna make an appointment with the doctor, cos it COULD be cardiovascular.. or something else

ReputationRep:
    Go see your GP about this.

ReputationRep:
    Aww come one man lose weight.

Don't obesity hold you back.

ReputationRep:
    Gaviscon is your answer ..but see the doctor anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    sounds like you might have a gastric ulcer or just acid (indigestion) - either way, try some gaviscon and see how that goes

it's a bit hard to tell you what it could be on a forum though, really you might wanna make an appointment with the doctor, cos it COULD be cardiovascular.. or something else
    All the docs I have been to in last 2 years have been unsympathetic, each time I have been(which is about 5 times in 2 years) they tell me that I do have a slightly tender gut(or something along those lines I cant remember maybe inflammed) and just to exercise and I will be better.

I was recommended a dietician by congitive behaviour therapist and was refused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    All the docs I have been to in last 2 years have been unsympathetic, each time I have been(which is about 5 times in 2 years) they tell me that I do have a slightly tender gut(or something along those lines I cant remember maybe inflammed) and just to exercise and I will be better.

I was recommended a dietician by congitive behaviour therapist and was refused.
    refused? for what it's worth, if you really feel this will help you, i think you should try again

anyway, being overweight is a risk factor for developing acid reflux (and the ulcers and such associated with it) so it would probably be a good idea to try and lose some weight.. and avoid any triggers - you say you notice it after certain foods - avoid those foods!

but like i said - it really is hard to tell you over a forum. it's a shame your past experience with the doctors hasn't been very helpful, but you could go in again and tell them you've been in before and weren't satisfied with your consultations, maybe they didn't explain enough to you? i dunno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    refused? for what it's worth, if you really feel this will help you, i think you should try again

anyway, being overweight is a risk factor for developing acid reflux (and the ulcers and such associated with it) so it would probably be a good idea to try and lose some weight.. and avoid any triggers - you say you notice it after certain foods - avoid those foods!

but like i said - it really is hard to tell you over a forum. it's a shame your past experience with the doctors hasn't been very helpful, but you could go in again and tell them you've been in before and weren't satisfied with your consultations, maybe they didn't explain enough to you? i dunno
    The response was "everyone knows how to eat right so whats the point of a dietician"

Yeah thinking about it its like a very mild version of what my chest/heart feels when hungover, i.e a bit dry and like having a sore throat except in my heart area.

And I never noticed the feeling when I was thin.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it isn't linked to your weight, you should still both see a doctor and lose weight anyway.

Sounds like gas, but go to your GP to be on the safe side.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.