Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating problem Watch

Announcements

Hi.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I can motivate myself to start eating again?
    I don't eat very much and my weight is dropping rapidly.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    smell the food and let it lure u to a greater destiny

force urself to eat if it doesnt work?

ReputationRep:
    Try to eat High Cal foods if your appetite is low.

ReputationRep:
    Remember food you used to like, and try it again. Try to think about anything but calories in food. Eat yourself full when you're having meals.

Good luck, hope your appetite naturally returns.

EDIT: Eat with other people.

ReputationRep:
    A trip to your gp? :dontknow:

Thank you for the help.
    I'v tried forcing myself to eat but just dosent work.
    I'v been to my GP coz i'v lost nearly 2 stone now.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you get hungry if you don't eat enough?

ReputationRep:
    Get into baking and stuff yourself with cake. Or buy a recipe book with lots of tempting recipes in it. When you've made the effort to make a proper meal for yourself you feel much more motivated to eat it.

ReputationRep:
    Chug down peanut butter smoothies with full fat milk.

Olive oil dressings in your salads and on pretty much on anything else.

Eat till you are full, then eat some more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I can motivate myself to start eating again?
    I don't eat very much and my weight is dropping rapidly.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Firstly, you need to think about the reasons WHY you don't eat very much. Is it that you don't really like food and are not interested in it? Is it that you are too busy to eat/prepare food? Is it that you have a fear or food or gaining weight? Are you actively cutting down what you eat?

There are a number of possible causes for the eating problems you're experiencing, and these could be either psychological, physical or both. Either way, if you're looking for solutions, you first may need to think about the cause.

Quote me or PM me if you want to talk over any reasons you can think of, or anything, and I'll try my best to help

Take care.

(Original post by Sai4)
    Don't you get hungry if you don't eat enough?
    Nope I don't feel hungry, havn't for a long time now.

(Original post by singerpianist)
    Firstly, you need to think about the reasons WHY you don't eat very much. Is it that you don't really like food and are not interested in it? Is it that you are too busy to eat/prepare food? Is it that you have a fear or food or gaining weight? Are you actively cutting down what you eat?

There are a number of possible causes for the eating problems you're experiencing, and these could be either psychological, physical or both. Either way, if you're looking for solutions, you first may need to think about the cause.

Quote me or PM me if you want to talk over any reasons you can think of, or anything, and I'll try my best to help

Take care.
    Thank you for your post.
    I'm sure that the reason is psychological as I do have a kind of frear that if I eat I will put on loads of weight, the docs have told me that i'm underweight already as my BMI is 17.2.
    I really just want to be able to eat, thats why i'm asking for ideas to get myself motivated to eat and hopefully will sort out this problem.
    Thank you and hope you are having a good day

ReputationRep:
    Learn to bake!

ReputationRep:
    Wrap it around your sexual organs and bite it off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for your post.
    I'm sure that the reason is psychological as I do have a kind of frear that if I eat I will put on loads of weight, the docs have told me that i'm underweight already as my BMI is 17.2.
    I really just want to be able to eat, thats why i'm asking for ideas to get myself motivated to eat and hopefully will sort out this problem.
    Thank you and hope you are having a good day
    I know someone that's been there, they got the flu once and became seriously ill and admitted to the hospital because there were'nt fit enough to fight it off. I'm not trying to scare you but consider what you're doing to your health. Take a photo of yourself or something and maybe it will help you to realise how thin you are and you might really want to start putting on weight.

And yeah to whoever said eat with other people because you tend to eat similarly in my opinion.

I've been in your situation and it's definitely a psychological problem. Your GP should refer to someone who can help you more specifically.
    Maybe you're not happy? I know that when I'm stressed I don't want to eat. If there is a friend you can talk to, they might help you see the issue in another light. With problems like this, it's unhealthy to keep it to yourself, and just posting on TSR is a step forward, admitting that you need to do something. Eating with others is a good idea, as long as they don't also eat very little.

I understand the fear of putting on weight, but you have to look at the bigger picture. If you don't eat enough, your muscles won't function properly and your heart is a muscle, so you really do need to. It appears that you don't want to eat, but you do want to be healthy and you just have to be strict with yourself and tell yourself that you have to eat, to survive.

Also rather than baking and eating lots, it may be easier to eat healthy foods, and to eat little and often, because your body may find it hard to process lots of food in one hit after not eating very much. It also might make you feel healthier if you do eat more, to exercise a little, as that is good for your well being and might make you feel at peace.

Hope I have been of some help

ReputationRep:
    Drink Complan. Seriously, I was the same way as you once, when I didn't eat for 2 weeks straight. (I was sent to hospital and put on a drip).
    I had a problem with my stomach and needed an operation, and I found out about other illnesses since then all occusring from the same thing.
    I drink complan nearly every day, it's got all your vitamins and minerals in it and a fair few calories too, all in one special shake. t makes up one light meal, or use two shakes for a main meal. You can buy them from boots:
    http://www.boots.com/en/Complan-nutr...4-x-57g_10609/

ReputationRep:
    Make regular routine meal times and always make yourself eat a meal at these times, even if you don't feel hungry, it should get you into a routine and your body should become used to wanting food at those times.

ReputationRep:
    Go see your GP? or force yourself to eat, or just eat when your hungry x

ReputationRep:
    (a) just shovel it in. it's fuel after all.
    (b) try finding a cookbook with tasty recipes like the ottolenghi cookbook. that'd tempt most people.
    (c) buy a book about anorexia
    (d) try to get yourself referred to a clinical psychologist

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.