Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In a bit of a sticky situation with my academic referees. Have two lined up but one is notoriously bad at getting stuff like this done in a timely manner. I've asked him about it and he agreed but that was last term and he hasn't replied to my emails saying that I will be applying.

Long story short does anyone know what the rules (formal or informal) are regarding referees and sending references? Basically I want to get my applications off as soon as possible but don't want to do so and then have them wait ages for him to send off my application. Caught between applying now and praying or waiting until I get back to uni and have the opportunity to get on his ass about it in person. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    In a bit of a sticky situation with my academic referees. Have two lined up but one is notoriously bad at getting stuff like this done in a timely manner. I've asked him about it and he agreed but that was last term and he hasn't replied to my emails saying that I will be applying.

Long story short does anyone know what the rules (formal or informal) are regarding referees and sending references? Basically I want to get my applications off as soon as possible but don't want to do so and then have them wait ages for him to send off my application. Caught between applying now and praying or waiting until I get back to uni and have the opportunity to get on his ass about it in person. :cool:
    Did you try the obvious solution to go see him at his office ? Academics don't eat people, at least most of them don't.

ReputationRep:
    I have had to stalk my uni tutor for a week before she realised I needed the reference NOW. I managed to get mine the day of the deadline of one of my MA apps and had to run there to hand in my app in the very snowy weather last month. They are very busy people so you just have to keep chasing them, turn up at their office again and again until you get what you want, put on your thickest skin!

WIth all my MA apps, I deliver the myself the day of the daedline because they are all in London and I wanted to allow myself more time to work on them. However, I had the luxury to do it because all the courses I am interested in run this batch application policy meaning no application will be looked at until after the deadline, so it didn't matter if I sent it a month before the deadline or the day of the deadline. So if the course you are applying to are like this then I would say wait for your references as it doesn't make any difference, otherwise you might want to send your forms off as soon as for the best chance of being interviewed.

I think the best thing to do is to call up the uni you are applying and discuss the situation with them, because from my experience, some colleges want everything to be in at the same time as they won't spend time matching your forms with your reference whereas some don't mind doing it and in fact some have different deadlines for forms and reference.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.