Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the specification and apparently it's quite different from the courses offered by other exam boards. What's exactly different about it, and does this mean it's harder or easier? :s

And for those who are doing/have done Chemistry, what is it like? A big step up from GCSE? I heard Chemistry is one of the hardest subjects for A level, and I'm quite nervous about doing it :/ Would like to know a bit more. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I looked at the specification and apparently it's quite different from the courses offered by other exam boards. What's exactly different about it, and does this mean it's harder or easier? :s

And for those who are doing/have done Chemistry, what is it like? A big step up from GCSE? I heard Chemistry is one of the hardest subjects for A level, and I'm quite nervous about doing it :/ Would like to know a bit more. Thanks
    Salters is probably the hardest of the exam boards for chemistry. Majority of the exam boards simply test chemical ideas whereas salters like to put chemical ideas into a "storyline" context, which tends to confuse the whole thing.

Personally, i found chemistry to be the biggest step up subject from GCSE, but then again i only did double science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Salters is probably the hardest of the exam boards for chemistry. Majority of the exam boards simply test chemical ideas whereas salters like to put chemical ideas into a "storyline" context, which tends to confuse the whole thing.

Personally, i found chemistry to be the biggest step up subject from GCSE, but then again i only did double science.
    Ah thanks. That's great. Absolutely great. I'm doing Twenty First Century Science (with OCR as well) and apparently it's the easiest GCSE science course and won't prepare me much for A level Chemistry -.-

I'm doing double science as well. What did you get for Double Science?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks. That's great. Absolutely great. I'm doing Twenty First Century Science (with OCR as well) and apparently it's the easiest GCSE science course and won't prepare me much for A level Chemistry -.-

I'm doing double science as well. What did you get for Double Science?
    Snap!

I did 21st century aswell! I can honestly tell you it's absolutely nothing like A level. If I remember its mostly about ticking boxes and ethics for god sake. Just be prepared for the jump!

I got an A*A*, which comprised of 276/300 in yr 10 and then 300/300 in yr 11.

ReputationRep:
    lol I did 21st Century Science, we were actually the first batch ever to do it as one of our teachers was a part of the course co-ordinater for the 21st Century Science thingy and he volunteered our school to be a part of the "first batch" that would do them.

It was very easy....but it just didn't prepare us well for the Salter's OCR exams.

My advice is that make sure you try to get as many UMS as you can at AS because Salters A2 is very hard and the final paper (F335) is basically all the modules from AS and A2 put together so keep revising your AS stuff when you get to Year 13 too! I know some people who found the final paper "easy" as there was very little new stuff to learn and just older things to revise, which they had done constantly. My problem was I never looked back at the AS stuff once Year 13 started, thats why I got low marks in F335.

ReputationRep:
    Snap!

I did 21st century aswell! I can honestly tell you it's absolutely nothing like A level. If I remember its mostly about ticking boxes and ethics for god sake. Just be prepared for the jump!

I got an A*A*, which comprised of 276/300 in yr 10 and then 300/300 in yr 11.
    Wow well done Yeah, it's really easy. They've added a new question style this year, like a mini essay, but I don't think it makes much of a difference :P The coursework will probably stop me from getting an A* though, my teachers don't really tell us what to do to get an A* and I'm too lazy to do it.

What did you get (module exams)/are predicted for Chemistry then?

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done Yeah, it's really easy. They've added a new question style this year, like a mini essay, but I don't think it makes much of a difference :P The coursework will probably stop me from getting an A* though, my teachers don't really tell us what to do to get an A* and I'm too lazy to do it.

What did you get (module exams)/are predicted for Chemistry then?
    My AS exams went something like BBA, ending up with 239/300 which is annoyingly close to an A. I've been predicted an A for chemistry this year.

ReputationRep:
    My AS exams went something like BBA, ending up with 239/300 which is annoyingly close to an A. I've been predicted an A for chemistry this year.
    Nice. Well, good luck for your exams ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Nice. Well, good luck for your exams ^_^
    you too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.