Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever say grace before a meal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how many people here do say grace?

I.e. some may remember from school days: "For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful. Amen."

In before all the TSR militant angry atheists...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but i don't do it in an obvious way.
    I do it all in my head.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have to when I went on Catholic retreats with my school. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    What's the polite thing to do if you're having dinner at someone's house, they start saying grace, but you're not religious? Just sit there quietly?

ReputationRep:
    Only once on a Confirmation trip when we had to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    What's the polite thing to do if you're having dinner at someone's house, they start saying grace, but you're not religious? Just sit there quietly?
    tricky one - although you could say that you don't necessarily have to be a full blown religious believer to participate in this ritual that reminds us of how fortunate we are in our plentiful supply of food and comfort, and of the distress our less fortunate ancestors often found themselves in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    That's what I've always done, wait and let them do it, never takes long.

ReputationRep:
    I was like 'what the **** is grace' for a second but I remember doing that in primary school :O

Never heard it anywhere else though.

ReputationRep:
    No, but our dining table is permanently covered in paperwork so we never sit down to eat.
    Besides, I'd probably end up thinking saying something like "thank you for this food we are about to receive whilst many of those both here and abroad have none"
    Some things are best not thought about.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought this was a thing only americans do lol

ReputationRep:
    Every now and again, but only in my head..getting less often, which is a shame as it's a very spiritual and enjoyable thing to do.

Used to do it all the time a few years back, but mainly because I had a friend who would do it studiously at every meal and it was nice to do it with him.

ReputationRep:
    I used to say that at primary school. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    tricky one - although you could say that you don't necessarily have to be a full blown religious believer to participate in this ritual that reminds us of how fortunate we are in our plentiful supply of food and comfort, and of the distress our less fortunate ancestors often found themselves in.
    I suppose, but I wouldn't be comfortable joining in if god was explicitly mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no.

ReputationRep:
    nope. Since no deity is involved in the production and processing of the goods in our shops and the cooking at home there is no one to thank for the processes leading to my meal bar who ever cooked dinner. I suppose if I was religious I could thank God that my soul was placed in the body of a British middle class child and not a starving African boy who may well have died before 19...but then that sort of thinking leads to awkward questions in my mind, which I imagine might be worse for those who are genuinely religious.

ReputationRep:
    Had to do it before some meals at school. At university, one club I was a member of had a Latin grace before dinner. Never done it at home though. Seems a bit cringeworthy really.

I don't generally take the view that God does control what I eat anyway. As someone above points out, that leads to awkward questions over why he's not dishing out the gravy to others. Whilst I happily believe in God, that level of interference in everyday affairs just isn't something I can accept. At best, saying grace is just a prayer.

ReputationRep:
    No i dont believe in fairy tales!

ReputationRep:
    Never done it, I'm not American.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.