Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

confused! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically I want a new phone.

I have been cosidering buying an ipod recently and today I popped into my local apple shop (twice) whilst out shopping.

I also looked at the iphones. I do like the iphones and it would be handy to have one item to use as a phone and a music device instead of two but the price has alway put me off.

My dad has said he will phone orange tomorrow and see if they will give us some sort of deal for it (they have done this before because we have been with them a long time)

BUT I was talking a friend (who has a thing against apple) about an hour ago and he suggested the Samsung Galaxy S.

So now I am wondering if an iphone is the best option or if something else could do the job cheaper/better.

Basically I am a bit confused....

Here is a list of info that might help you help me.

I currently have a Blackberry Curve which I like and use alot for things such as email and facebook.
    I want to use my phone to listen to music and I am considering getting spotify premium to use on my mobile. (slightly gutted I couldnt just get that on my blakberry)
    The cheaper the better, but I still want a good phone.

xx

ReputationRep:
    If I'm perfectly honest, a user such as yourself won't notice the difference. Only when you start caring about processor types, jailbreaking/rooting, and custom roms should you really care - honestly just have a play around with the two and see which one feels more intuitive.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the HTC Desire, it is a great phone and much cheaper than the iphone. I replaced my ipod with it and it can do all the things you want. I personally didn't like the galaxy, its interface was horrible!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously... Get an iPhone. There is a reason why they are so desirable. Its because they're great.

I've owned both a HTC & Nokia touch phones and the iPhone wins every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)

I have been cosidering buying an ipod recently and today I popped into my local apple shop (twice) whilst out shopping.

I also looked at the iphones. I do like the iphones and it would be handy to have one item to use as a phone and a music device instead of two but the price has alway put me off.

My dad has said he will phone orange tomorrow and see if they will give us some sort of deal for it (they have done this before because we have been with them a long time)

BUT I was talking a friend (who has a thing against apple) about an hour ago and he suggested the Samsung Galaxy S.

So now I am wondering if an iphone is the best option or if something else could do the job cheaper/better.

I currently have a Blackberry Curve which I like and use alot for things such as email and facebook.
    I want to use my phone to listen to music and I am considering getting spotify premium to use on my mobile. (slightly gutted I couldnt just get that on my blakberry)

xx
    Looking at your needs, you would be better of with a galaxy s.

(1) It is masively better for facebook because it has native facebook integration. It means when a contact calls you, their facebook photo and last status update appear on the screen as they call. You can also access all peoples facebook galleries natively within the contact app - no need to launch the facebook app. You also have live dynamic favebook widgets that show live status updates pushed to your phone on your homescreens. This makes android phones such as the galaxy s or htc desire massively superior for facebook, twitter, and other social networks.

(2) for email, again android is massively better, using google and native gmail, offering an instant push email experience to the blackberry. The native cloud google services such as gtalk, google docs, gmail, contacts, gmaps and free satnav etc you have to pay for an equivalent on the iphone, called mobileMe.

(3) Android (and iphone and blackberry) all have an app called Whatsapp which offers free BBM type texting. However the android version of the app is significantly better than the iphone version, and its free.

(4) you said you wanted like an ipod player built into your phone. All modern phones have a music player built in lol ! The one on the galaxy s is rated better than the ipod app on the iphone. Also, you are able to wirelessly sync with iTunes if you have that too.

(5) spotify is an expensive monthly paid app that is available on both android and iphone. However, with android you have FREE quivalent apps that let you download to your album/playlist or instantly stream any song you simply type in for free! Such apps even give you lists to choose from, such as "uk top 40 charts" and also download the album art seamlessly and instantly to your phone.

(6) such android phones also have the option of a keyboard, such as the HTC Desire Z.

Having had both the iphone4 and the galaxy s, personally I would go for the Samsung Galaxy S easily, and particularly for your specific needs. Incidently it is also cheaper on contract, altho even if it was more expensive i would still have opted for it due to the better screen, faster processor, more free apps in app store, better multitasking, better front facing camera, better web browsing, flash in browser, better social networking integration, live dynamic widgets and tiles on your homescreems, better customising homescreens to make the phone mine, and better notification system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)

xx
    Samsung Galaxy is a helluva phone. If you don't have particularly compelling reasons to choose an IPhone (trend, fashion, crowd-following etc.) then leave it alone. Phone companies just rip you off with it, through awful contracts that handcuff you to them for too long and make you pay too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markuk99)
    Looking at your needs, you would be better of with a galaxy s.

(1) It is masively better for facebook because it has native facebook integration. It means when a contact calls you, their facebook photo and last status update appear on the screen as they call. You can also access all peoples facebook galleries natively within the contact app - no need to launch the facebook app. You also have live dynamic favebook widgets that show live status updates pushed to your phone on your homescreens. This makes android phones such as the galaxy s or htc desire massively superior for facebook, twitter, and other social networks.

(2) for email, again android is massively better, using google and native gmail, offering an instant push email experience to the blackberry. The native cloud google services such as gtalk, google docs, gmail, contacts, gmaps and free satnav etc you have to pay for an equivalent on the iphone, called mobileMe.

(3) Android (and iphone and blackberry) all have an app called Whatsapp which offers free BBM type texting. However the android version of the app is significantly better than the iphone version, and its free.

(4) you said you wanted like an ipod player built into your phone. All modern phones have a music player built in lol ! The one on the galaxy s is rated better than the ipod app on the iphone. Also, you are able to wirelessly sync with iTunes if you have that too.

(5) spotify is an expensive monthly paid app that is available on both android and iphone. However, with android you have FREE quivalent apps that let you download to your album/playlist or instantly stream any song you simply type in for free! Such apps even give you lists to choose from, such as "uk top 40 charts" and also download the album art seamlessly and instantly to your phone.

(6) such android phones also have the option of a keyboard, such as the HTC Desire Z.

Having had both the iphone4 and the galaxy s, personally I would go for the Samsung Galaxy S easily, and particularly for your specific needs. Incidently it is also cheaper on contract, altho even if it was more expensive i would still have opted for it due to the better screen, faster processor, more free apps in app store, better multitasking, better front facing camera, better web browsing, flash in browser, better social networking integration, live dynamic widgets and tiles on your homescreems, better customising homescreens to make the phone mine, and better notification system.
    Thanks for your help, its nice to have someone give proper reasons rather than they just prefer one or the other xx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.