Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

URGENT Co-Op student account overdraft help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK. So it goes a bit like this. Co-Op does not have a "graduate account", so if you graduate after 3 years, the student account is supposed to be extended for 12 months after graduation, then the overdraft is set at 0 unless otherwise prearranged.

I suddently got a letter while I was on holiday telling me I need to repay my overdraft by the 31st of Dec (ie tomorrow), this is despite having a letter when I graduated in June telling me I have 12 months to pay it off.

Oh, and I just flew back tonight from abroad. Not a pleasant welcome home.

Obviously I'm going to the bank ASAP tomorrow but just wondering if anyone here have had a similar problem with the Co-Op and also I'm unsure what happens if the overdraft is cancelled and the overdrawn balance becomes "informal". I've never gone over the limit before.

Thx

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend that you transfer your money into a bank that does include a graduate account overdraft. Look into all the major banks and what they have to offer then work as hard as you can to transfer the money tomorrow.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Jakal)
    I would recommend that you transfer your money into a bank that does include a graduate account overdraft. Look into all the major banks and what they have to offer then work as hard as you can to transfer the money tomorrow.

Hope this helps!
    Well the crisis has been averted for now at least. I complained that the banks action was a serious breach of trust and their own terms and conditions (I took 2 letters, one dated in June saying that I have 12 months after graduation, and 1 in Dec saying I had until the 31st). They told me it was an "automated computer error" and agreed to stick to the original 12 months overdraft after graduation with immediate effect.

But yes, I will be looking into transfering my overdrafts there to another bank with graduate accounts with a staggered repayment plan. Only thing is, I have £2000 overdraft with the Co-Op account, which is pretty large and one of the reasons why I got it in the first place; so I'd have to pay some of that off first anyway.

ReputationRep:
    They did the same to me. They tried to only allow a 2 year interest free student account for me instead of the 3 years agreed. I had to write letters of complaint to get this changed. They did the same to my brother and he wasn't as lucky as I and had to start paying it back a year earlier than he was meant to. I honestly think it's a scam. I recommend anyone with co-op to change banks, I know I am as soon as I pay off the overdraft!

ReputationRep:
    Similar thing happened to me. Mine was with Smile (Co-op) and had a student account. Graduated last year so been in full-time employment since then. Due to receiving virtually no student loan I used all my overdraft (£2000).

I got a letter a few months ago telling me I had to pay it back in full within a month! contacted them and I managed to get them to accept an instalment plan. Ended up paying £500 each month for four months and will make my last payment this month.

So if you can avoid getting a student overdraft, do it! they don't give a toss.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.