Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My ultimate cheap bulk-making recipes thread. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought this would be a good idea for students/mums, anyone on a budget really. I love a challenge, and hate spending lots of unnecessary money on food. So in this thread I will be posting recipes, complete with a shopping list, how much everything costs (using ASDA) altogether, and what it would be per meal. The recipes will normally make 7/8 portions, and can be frozen for use throughout the week.

First recipe: 3 weeks worth of Chilli Con Carne
    Recipe: http://www.chilli-con-carne.co.uk/ch...e-recipes.html

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

£19.68/21 meals = 93 pence a meal.

I made it a shopping list for three weeks because ASDA has a deal on with the mince which works out way cheaper.

EDIT: Why has this been negged?

ReputationRep:
    Eliza Acton's Vegetable Mulligatawny (Veggie Soup) (Makes 8 portions)

Recipe: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...ligatawny.html

£8.65/8 portions = £1.08

ReputationRep:
    Chicken and Leek Pie (serves 6)

Recipe: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/628526

£8.53/6 portions = £1.40

ReputationRep:
    Homemade breakfast bars (makes about 50)

Recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...breakfast-bars

£6.27/50 = 12pence

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this

ReputationRep:
    Where's the recipe for the breakfast bars?
    Great idea, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a good idea tbf :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Where's the recipe for the breakfast bars?
    Great idea, thank you!
    I accidently closed down the website ... I will try find it now edit: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...breakfast-bars I left out the coconut, I don't like it!lol.

P.S I am very grateful to the mod who cleared this thread up!

Easy Spaghetti Bolognese (8 portions)

Recipe
    Brown off the mince, and drain away any fat.
    Put the sauce, and chopped up vegetables into a dish which can be put in the oven.
    Put in the oven until it boils.
    Take out and put the mince in and stir thoroughly
    Leave on a low-medium heat for a good couple of hours. It allows the sauce to thicken and stops the meat from going tough.
    About 15 minutes before the bolognese is ready, put the spaghetti on the hob in a pan of boiling water and cook until however you like it.

Serve, and voila!

£7.27/8 portions = 90 pence a portion.

ReputationRep:
    Easy Pancakes

recipe: http://www.easy-pancake-recipe.com/

As you can see, you've got a lot more than needed there for 8 pancakes, if you were to buy more milk you could probably make about 50? very insanely cheap breakfast!

Cheap toppings :

ReputationRep:
    Jacket Potatoes (8 portions)

Easy to do. Wash potato. Cut a cross in them , and if you have a bit of olive/sunflower/whatever oil drizzle a bit on top with some salt . If not doesnt matter. Put in the oven until the inside is fluffy, and the skins go crisp. About 40 mins on a medium heat.

As you can see, there's lots for toppings. You can have:
    Plain with butter
    Butter and cheese
    Tuna sweet corn mayo
    Beans
    Beans and Cheese
    Coleslaw
    Any other toppings you have laying around.

£6.13/8 = 76 pence per portion.

ReputationRep:
    Toad in the hole (8 portions)

recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5...n-4-easy-steps

£5.39/8 portions = 67 pence per portion

ReputationRep:
    For those really hard done by: Pasta with pesto, bacon and peas. (10 portions)

Recipe: Boil half a bag of pasta. Fry bacon. Boil Peas. Drain everything, and mix together along with a spoonful of pesto. TA DA.

£3.58/10 = 35 pence a portion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like walmart/asda, so I'm not going to use that site.

2 onions (it doesn't matter what kind)
    2-4 cloves of garlic
    1 handful of frozen spinach or 3-5 of fresh spinach
    olive oil
    carrots
    broccoli
    lentils
    sweetcorn/+peas/+sprouts/+potatoes(always add last)/+any vegetable that takes your fancy

Fry the onion, fry anything that needs frying, add water, add 3 large handfuls of lentils, add the rest of your ingredients (including herbs if you want), salt and pepper.

Pressure cook for 20 minutes (that means boil for about 3 minutes o a high heat when pressurised, then turn the hob off, it does not mean leave it on a high heat for 20 minutes) or boil for 90-12 minutes (stirring every now and then, unless in the pressure cooker).

One lovely large healthy vegetable and lentil soup, ready for the fridge, freezer, or stomach.
    Great for this cold weather!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)

2-4 cloves of garlic
    olive oil
    carrots
    broccoli
    lentils
    sweetcorn/+peas/+sprouts/+potatoes(always add last)/+any vegetable that takes your fancy

Fry the onion, fry anything that needs frying, add water, add 3 large handfuls of lentils, add the rest of your ingredients (including herbs if you want), salt and pepper.

Pressure cook for 20 minutes (that means boil for about 3 minutes o a high heat when pressurised, then turn the hob off, it does not mean leave it on a high heat for 20 minutes) or boil for 90-12 minutes (stirring every now and then, unless in the pressure cooker).

One lovely large healthy vegetable and lentil soup, ready for the fridge, freezer, or stomach.
    That sounds so amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Millions of Pizzas.

I never realised how cheap it was to make pizza dough. Here's the recipe: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...zza-dough.html , and here is the ingredients that you won't have in your cupboard, and price:

Aside from the tomato purree it's up to you what you put on top, here are a few cheap choices :

Could probably make about 5 pizzas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)

2-4 cloves of garlic
    olive oil
    carrots
    broccoli
    lentils

Yum! Veggie/vegan and healthy! Oh and most importantly- cheap!
    I love lentils! My mum near killed me for sneaking in puy lentils into the shipping basket!

OP those breakfast bars sound yum! I need to try them at some point. I don't like coconut either and I'd swap the butter for Pure (the dairy free sunflower oil) and probably leave out some of the sugar and add some chopped dates but they look good!

Ooh that reminds me! For any health freaks () or diabetics, my mum has a very similar recipe for breakfast bars with no butter, no sugar (apart from the fruit sugars), only a tiny bit of fat and they're scarily delicious.

Before the copyright police come after me this is from diabeties.org.

Ingredients
    • 450g (1lb) eating apples, stewed
    • 5 tablespoons orange juice
    • 225g (8oz) mixed dried fruit
    • (eg apricots, dates, cranberries, etc), roughly chopped
    • 100g (3½oz) mixed nuts
    • (eg almonds, hazelnuts, etc), chopped
    • 75g (2¾oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
    • 25g (1oz) desiccated coconut
    • 1 tablespoon oil

Instructions
    1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF/gas mark 4.
    2. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
    3. Spoon into a lightly greased and lined 20cm square baking tin.
    4. Smooth out and press down slightly, then bake for 35–40 minutes, until golden and firm.
    5. Mark into 16 pieces.
    6. Leave in the tin to cool.

I like this thread vair vair much!

ReputationRep:
    OK... just got my student finance through... I am gonna be living on the tightest ****ing budget known to man... gonna look up some more cheap recipes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    For those really hard done by: Pasta with pesto, bacon and peas. (10 portions)

Recipe: Boil half a bag of pasta. Fry bacon. Boil Peas. Drain everything, and mix together along with a spoonful of pesto. TA DA.

£3.58/10 = 35 pence a portion.

Pasta with pesto, bacon and mushrooms. Yup

Pasta with pesto, bacon and tomatoes. Yup

Pasta with pesto, bacon and peppers. Yup

Pasta with pesto, bacon and cheese. Yup

Pasta with pesto, bacon and pine nuts. Yup

Pasts with pesto, bacon and... peas?!? Wtf? Peas with pasta?

Also is this is supposed to be healthy, why are you advocating frying the bacon? Whats wrong with the grill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Pasts with pesto, bacon and... peas?!? Wtf? Peas with pasta?

Also is this is supposed to be healthy, why are you advocating frying the bacon? Whats wrong with the grill?
    My old school used to put peas in their pasta sauce. Was dubious but it was quite tasty :yep:

And bacon is always healthy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I thought this would be a good idea for students/mums, anyone on a budget really. I love a challenge, and hate spending lots of unnecessary money on food. So in this thread I will be posting recipes, complete with a shopping list, how much everything costs (using ASDA) altogether, and what it would be per meal. The recipes will normally make 7/8 portions, and can be frozen for use throughout the week.

First recipe: 3 weeks worth of Chilli Con Carne
    Recipe: http://www.chilli-con-carne.co.uk/ch...e-recipes.html

£19.68/21 meals = 93 pence a meal.

I made it a shopping list for three weeks because ASDA has a deal on with the mince which works out way cheaper.

EDIT: Why has this been negged?
    THANKYOU! I initially clicked on this because I thought it was for bulking (training wise)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.