Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

General Life/Career advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is more of a rant than anything else, although any advice is always welcome.
    I'm at a top Uni reading History. I'm regarded as being academic and my results are all very lovely and impressive.
    However, something is missing. A lot of my peers have a burgeoning sense of ambition which I just dont have right now. With my profile, I could pretty much go for anything within reason, but it's the choice that scares me.
    As I approach the end of my degree I have become quite disenchanted with academia, and want a career that involves helping people if possible (definitely not teaching though!). I came from a state school and at every stage of my academic progression I have felt pressured by teachers to strive and apply to top universities on the premise that such aims were objectively better. I'm not ungrateful, but feel a little as though because I'm bright teachers have taken advantage of this and pressurised me into going for things just so that the school/college looks good. Along the way I think I've forgotten what it is that I actually want out of life.
    I wanted to join the RAF ever since I was a kid, but my eyesight would need correcting and the military still have strict rules prohibiting people with laser eye surgery from joining up. I'm at a bit of a loss really as to where to go once I graduate in May.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.