Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I have a PGCE Secondary interview for English at University of Brighton on January 20th 2011, and was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on a couple of things?

1) What is best to wear to the interview?

2) I have been unable to get any classroom observations due to circumstances beyond my control, but have had experience of mentoring and leading groups of children of the appropriate age, would this be suitable, or will I be rejected as I have not had any experience as of yet?

3) What sort of questions are going to be asked?

Good luck to anyone else preparing for interviews, or have had interviews and are awaiting an offer.

Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danmartin04)
    Hi all!

I have a PGCE Secondary interview for English at University of Brighton on January 20th 2011, and was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on a couple of things?

1) What is best to wear to the interview?

2) I have been unable to get any classroom observations due to circumstances beyond my control, but have had experience of mentoring and leading groups of children of the appropriate age, would this be suitable, or will I be rejected as I have not had any experience as of yet?

3) What sort of questions are going to be asked?

Good luck to anyone else preparing for interviews, or have had interviews and are awaiting an offer.

Dan

Hey dan,

I had an interview for secondary English at the University of Birmingham in November which was my first choice and from what I have gathered from the university I have a tentative conditional place based on the allocations which they have yet to receive. It's all very vague and uncertain which is a bit annoying!

Anywho here's a bit of advice that I hope is helpful to you:

Dresscode: Smart. While you don't have to go OTT, this is a serious interview and you should make an effort. I wore black trousers and a smart pink jumper (I'm a girl) and all of the boys at my interview wore shirts and ties. None bothered with full on suit jackets though so I don't think you'd need to either as they all looked smart and formal enough without.

Experience: secondary English is very competitive and generally speaking a decent amount of school experience is usually a pre-requisite. However as you say, you do have experience worling with children and seeing as they have offered you an interview they are obviously interested in you and think you are a good candidate. The very best advice I could give you would be to contact schools asap and try and arrange some experience now. Schools are generally very good about this and if you act quickly you could maybe arrange a few days observation before your interview (this is great as you will have material to reflect upon in your interview) however sorting out some experience for after your interview will also be beneficial to you as you can tell them what you plan to do and it will show the interviewer you are committed to gaining experience.

As far as specific questions go, they will vary from institution to institution but some main points bound to come up in some shape or form are: why do you want to teach and why do you think you would be good at it?

Hope some of this is of help to you and good luck!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.