Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"I know I'm going to get negged for this" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have seen in a lot of threads recently where someone posts an opinion that they feel could be controversial, they precede their idea with the statement "I know I'm going to get negged for this". I would like to ask these people, what do you hope to gain from this statement? Is this a kind of psychological trick getting people to do the opposite of what you say, like some sort of desperate plea for them not to actually neg you? Is it a ploy to show everyone how little you care about what they think of you? I honestly can't imagine anyone making an equivalent statement in a real life debate, it seems solely focussed on the reputation system. So, people who 'know' they're getting negged, why do you feel the need to tell everyone first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    "I know I'm going to get shot down for this". Mind you, that would be a literal statement in America.
    Hey... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think if you show that you acknowledge it's a controversial statement you come across as less arrogant, and thus may decrease the probability of you being neg'd. Though this may be counteracted by people who find the phrase irritating.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, it's because people are too scared to give their own opinion because they'll get negged.
    who the **** cares about neg rep man. the people on here cry about it n that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a racist but...

ReputationRep:
    Put your hand up if you neg repped the op :awesome:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Put your hand up if you neg repped the op :awesome:
    High five.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vexper)
    I'd say he's a loser but he has cake and better hair than I do. ****.

ReputationRep:
    A way of trying not to get negged............reverse strategy !

ReputationRep:
    Eh, kind of making a big deal out of this aren't you? Of course nobody would use something similar in a real life debate but you can hardly compare these forums to a debate...

If you want an answer it's probably to show people they don't care what they think of them or the negative rep or the inevitably flurry of abuse/criticism that is sure to follow and to soften the approach if that makes sense. "I know I'll get negged for this but I think religion is terrible" comes off better and less arrogant than just "religion is terrible".

You are right in saying that it's centered around the (stupid) reputation system. I mean if somebody precedes a post with that statement then they'll probably expect to get several down votes giving the appearance that the post is bad/wrong/stupid or whatever. Putting it in the actual post saves you from having to reply to someone later on explaining how little you care about the perceptions created by the reputation system.

I'm guilty of using this from time to time and those would be my reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing hate neggers. Green power!

ReputationRep:
    Speak your mind. **** rep.

ReputationRep:
    I said something controversial once [or twice :cool:]... and looked what happened!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    I'd say he's a loser but he has cake and better hair than I do. ****.
    Would it help if i told you he is wearing a wig?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't even read the post, just negged

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.