Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saying sorry after something offensive Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    hmm this really goes to the heart of social conditioning and expectations.

1- we are told when we do or say something negative to say sorry after, whether we are sorry or not.

2- we are also told most times to accept the apology

3- we are also told everyone makes mistakes without definition of what is a mistake and what is not.

tough but if he/she does not mean it and you feel they do not mean it you have to confront them and find out.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to a certain extent likely means he is aware that his comment may well be be insulting/upsetting but at the same time he doesn't think he is in the wrong by saying it. Poor example but it would be like if you thought someone was rather overweight and commented on it, they're upset and you're sorry it offended them BUT you feel that you were right to point it out to them.

ReputationRep:
    His behaviour might also be revealing some sort of insecurity towards you. Maybe he has strong feelings about you and his joking and his being somewhat insulting is his way to catch your attention and at the same time to cover his insecurity.
    However screwed this may sound, trust me, it happens more frequently than not!

ReputationRep:
    people like that are just so insecure of themselves and their lives that they have to go around making other people feel like poop... sorry for the rant, i just hate nasty people

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, it's nearly 4am so I can hardly think straight. Is this offensive comment he said that you're like a sister to him? Or that he thinks you could be more than friends?! If so, they're hardly offensive!

Must have the wrong end of the stick. Maybe whatever he's saying, he truely means, but he's upset that it offends you?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mMmMm*)
    Oh true lol he spends ages talking to me or getting me to talk to him for long. He's never usually upset me and jokes about, as he was known for being the class joker when we studied together, that's just how everyone sees him as. I've never got upset but thought his attitude was rude and random.

Then I was thinking hang on surely he must understand I spent ages making it for the occasion and saying that would get me upset. He usually makes me giggle a lot but sometimes chats **** and doesn't understand me, can't always be serious in a convo at all, everything is about trying to be funny. So when he hints being more than friends I think oh right lol. Then I told him hold on you were being serious and talked to him about it that, I see him as a good friend and didn't realise he was hinting to be more than that as I always thought we were like bro and sis.

If he thinks of me as such a close person, he should understand things more than how I don't find it funny. We're over the fact we're just friends but he randomly says **** like that.
    Either you are dealing with a professional clown, or he is really scared to death when talking to you because he likes you and his insecurity brings him to cover this with a layer of joking, that, I understand, amuses him only. I think that next time he hints you about being more than friends, you should confront him seriously and tell him how you feel about the whole thing. If he understands, all right, if he doesn't, stay friends and make sure he understands you set the boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    He probably likes you
    or just really messing with you.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone noticed this:
    Will & Willow Smith
    Jada & Jaden Smith

that's pretty mind blowing to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    Has anyone noticed this:
    Will & Willow Smith
    Jada & Jaden Smith

that's pretty mind blowing to me.
    Nope not until now :eek: It must be confusing in their house.

ReputationRep:
    Some guys are like that, myself included.

He probably does care about you, enough to be able to make these jokes. He most likely can't see what he's said wrong, as to him he may be making what he thinks is a harmless joke and assuming that you know its a joke, but you're taking offence and he's saying sorry. He probably never means to offends but lands up doing so and hence the sorry as he can see you take some offence.

Gah awkward writing style of that.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. It's like when someone intentionally says something cruel and hurtful but thinks it's OK because they preceded it with 'No offence, but ...'.

ReputationRep:
    http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/...rry-herpes.jpg

ReputationRep:
    That looks amazing! lol I was just thinking, how the heck you know that it was a cake that I was talking about. To which my friend commented on randomly being a ****...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mMmMm*)
    That looks amazing! lol I was just thinking, how the heck you know that it was a cake that I was talking about. To which my friend commented on randomly being a ****...
    lol, I didn't, are you being serious? +rep

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.