Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you like Forrest Gump? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I love this film?it is really inspiring...But what do you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I found it somehow poetic, even if it was clearly intended to be a blockbuster without too much psychological depth. A good director and a great cast made the difference on a however well written screenplay. 8/10 I'd say :P

ReputationRep:
    Its the best film ever (even if it is a conservative propaganda film in many respects...).

It's got satire, historical context, war/action, romance/heartbreak, adventure... it's both funny and sad enough to make one cry. It's AWESOME.

Plus, its got Tom Hanks... it's epic WIN

Great film. It was a bit emotional and very light hearted at the same time.

ReputationRep:
      It's a very enjoyable film simply from its storytelling point of view narrative. In other respects it's a little overrated but on the whole, I'd give it 5 stars.

ReputationRep:
      Brilliant film and quite sad.

ReputationRep:
      It's been ruined by being incessantly repeated on channel 4 and my two younger brothers squaking 'lofe's like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get' over and over again.

READ THE ****ING LABEL YOU TIT :mad:.

ReputationRep:
      Top film.

ReputationRep:
      I don't like when bubba says "I wanna go home", it's very depressing. The film is actually too depressing for me to watch that often.

ReputationRep:
      Awesome film- 9/10

ReputationRep:
      I just love all the people he meets and all the historical dates he takes part in, I aspire to have a life like his

ReputationRep:
      One of the best films ever made. Iconic, and fully deserving of it's Oscars.

Although the way they treated Winston Groom was absolutely shameful.

(Original post by Barden)
      (even if it is a conservative propaganda film in many respects...)
      The film is not political. While Forrest does smybolise conservatism in many aspects, Jenny's character is most definitely at the other end of the spectrum. The films highlights the strengths and weaknesses of both, while showing that bipartisanship and moderation are the ways forward (as evidenced by the marriage at the end).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Phalanges)
      One of the best films ever made. Iconic, and fully deserving of it's Oscars.

The film is not political. While Forrest does smybolise conservatism in many aspects, Jenny's character is most definitely at the other end of the spectrum. The films highlights the strengths and weaknesses of both, while showing that bipartisanship and moderation are the ways forward (as evidenced by the marriage at the end).

I always felt that Jenny's character represented the 'evils of liberalism' though? And that Forest's conservative character, despite being 'simple-minded', set her (or tried to) on the straight and narrow?

ReputationRep:
      Who doesn't?

ReputationRep:
      Soundtrack is sublime.

ReputationRep:
      This film along with Requiem Of A Dream have the been the hardest hitting for me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Barden)
      I always felt that Jenny's character represented the 'evils of liberalism' though? And that Forest's conservative character, despite being 'simple-minded', set her (or tried to) on the straight and narrow?
      Jenny's character represents a world that Forrest could never be a part of, and is seen as evil because of how closed off it is to him. That Forrest tried to change Jenny shows his own ignorance and unwarranted sense of superiority (as the parallels in their lives are striking, such as the loneliness both share), and in the end I think they can both be seen as changing each other a lot (showing that co-operation strengthens all things, rather than the rapid partisanship still seen in American politics today more than ever).

Ultimately I see the film as a look at the changing American landscape over the decades. Politics can't be detached from this, but it can be commented on while remaining relatively unbiased.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by edd360)
      I don't like when bubba says "I wanna go home", it's very depressing. The film is actually too depressing for me to watch that often.
      Wow really? You watched Requiem for dream? Leaving Las Vegas? Or Precious?

If Forest Gump is too depressing for you you should watch the above movies so you have a benchmark of sorts lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AidyD)
      Wow really? You watched Requiem for dream? Leaving Las Vegas? Or Precious?

If Forest Gump is too depressing for you you should watch the above movies so you have a benchmark of sorts lol
      I have seen Requiem for a Dream out of your list. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Forrest Gump is the most depressing film I have seen, it's just not a film I would choose to watch most of the time. I prefer watching feel good movies :3 But from time to time a dose of depressing movies is ok...just have to find the right time. Titanic and The Butterfly Effect are another couple of movies which this is true for as well, the latter being my favourite movie of all time, but I could never watch it on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
      I'm quite sure I'm the only person in the world that has not seen this film.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.