Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Will I as an American be Precieved in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am seriously considering going to the UK for postgraduate study and one of of my biggest fears is not fitting in. I have a feeling that has kind of been reinforced by some of the responses on this forum that Americans are not well received in the UK especially those from the south. I'm from Texas and there have been many disparaging remarks made about Southerners and Texans on this site. Am I wrong in thinking this or does this feeling hold weight.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's not the same, this is the internet afterall. You might get one or two remarks about the south but as long as your not the stereotypical southerner, I don't see much of a problem. You being a southerner won't be the thing that makes you not fit in. As long as you can handle the odd joke, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You might be expected to apologise for the crimes of GW Bush by undergraduate trotskyists before they'll be your friend... as a postgrad hanging out with undergrads would be optional I guess.

Most British people think real life americans are cool imo - just some of the ones we see on the telly are a bit nuts.

In case of emergency you could always pretend to be Canadian.

ReputationRep:
    Someone to be Jealous of:cool:!~Afterall the real world is different:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Americans are awesome, truth.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get a fair bit of **** for it, but it'll all be in jest. After all, you can't help being an American.

ReputationRep:
    Come visit this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...376912&page=58

We're very tolerant in general, moreso than Americans and I hear this from someone who lives in GA, so as long as you arent racist, homophobic, a ******** etc you shouldnt have a problem. I advise against going to a uni with a high concentration of intl students btw: generally it increases segregation

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...are you a republican?

If so, you'll be eaten alive.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you going?

ReputationRep:
    Well I can guarantee that I am not a republican. I have voted democrat sense I was able to vote. Also I am black and female so it's not like I am some "good ole boy" praying to secede from the north. Also I am from Houston which is a large multicultural city that is the first city in the U.S. to elect an openly gay mayor who happens to be close friends with my parents so I am very much liberal. I just want people to know that the south is not a monolith, we are very diverse and in the cities very liberal it has been a long time sense the civil war and things have changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoso)
    Well I can guarantee that I am not a republican. I have voted democrat sense I was able to vote. Also I am black and female so it's not like I am some "good ole boy" praying to secede from the north. Also I am from Houston which is a large multicultural city that is the first city in the U.S. to elect an openly gay mayor who happens to be close friends with my parents so I am very much liberal. I just want people to know that the south is not a monolith, we are very diverse and in the cities very liberal it has been a long time sense the civil war and things have changed.
    Then your ok, I even doubt anyone is going to make any jokes about the south and probably only make one or two jokes about your accent judging by the fact that you're nothing like the stereotypical southerner.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say bring some American Chocolate and use it to bribe people.... then I remembered that pretty much all American confectionery is like 99% sugar and pretty foul. The chocolate shouldn't be called chocolate for its major lack of coco. Hmm.

British people are pretty tolerant, especially those at university (and more so postgraduates), so you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get a couple of remarks about your sister also being your cousin, or about being a white supremacist, but it's all in jest A lot of people have these stereotypes of the south but nobody actually believes them, so just bear in mind that when somebody mentions one of them, don't take it to heart.

Other than that though, as long as you're an alright person, I really can't see you having problems fitting in.

EDIT: Just read your other post, and you're clearly nothing like a stereotypical southerner anyway. Honestly don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Yeah and for the person that asked which schools I am applying to my first choices are:

Oxford Msc Forced Migration and Refugee Studies
    University of Sussex Msc Migration Studies
    SOAS Msc Migration Studies

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your personality. If you act like a loud, brash, uncouth jackass then you'll be perceived even worse due to being an American. If you act like a polite, considerate, well-mannered and thoughtful person then you'll be thought better of for being American and going against the stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about it. Where im from most people have no clue about the north south devide there (im part of a reenactment society of the civil war and im confed )
    Also for the idiot that said go north yes come north purly because in the uk its the best...and iv lived in bith north and south... Idiot calling us all racist GOODONE

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of Islam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
    What do you think of Islam?
    I have no problem with Islam or Muslims. I think the current wave of Islamophobia is unfortunate and is widening the divide between people and creating resentment.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't act like a typical American redneck.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am seriously considering going to the UK for postgraduate study and one of of my biggest fears is not fitting in. I have a feeling that has kind of been reinforced by some of the responses on this forum that Americans are not well received in the UK especially those from the south. I'm from Texas and there have been many disparaging remarks made about Southerners and Texans on this site. Am I wrong in thinking this or does this feeling hold weight.

Thanks
    It's only southern, redneck hillbillies who think Obama's a nazi/communist/muslim extremist that we mock lol. You'll be fine, if anything people will warm to your accent and find you interesting.
    Just make sure you don't say anything positive about Palin or Bush

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.