Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

im thinking of having an iud! A few questions, does anyone know if it hurts when the insert it? Do you still have periods? And would my bf able to feel anything when its in place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College Lass)
    Hi,

im thinking of having an iud! A few questions, does anyone know if it hurts when the insert it? Do you still have periods? And would my bf able to feel anything when its in place?
    There are two options, the IUS and IUD.

The IUS releases small amounts of hormones. An example of the IUS is Mirena.

The IUD is copper only - copper kills the sperm. No hormones are involved. Examples of the IUD include Paraguard and Gynefix.

The IUS should ultimately cause your periods to get lighter, if not stop altogether.

The copper IUD may cause your periods to get heavier and possibly more painful.

Most IUSs/IUDs are framed, often they are T-shaped. The gynefix is frameless, it is a string of tiny copper beads on a nylon thread which they attach to the top of the uterus. Because it is not rigid and has a smaller surface area, it tends not to make your periods too much heavier or more painful. I have a gynefix and I love it

Insertion can hurt. For the majority, it is no more than a pinch or something up to a bad period pain, which only lasts a few seconds. For a minority, it is horrifically painful and some people can have a bad reaction to having it inserted and go into a kind of shock. This is rare, but unfortunately it happened to me. For me, insertion was like I imagine being stabbed would be, it was horrific, but it was over in seconds. However, I ended up passing out a few minutes later from the shock. This is rare though - another girl I know who has one told me it felt like no more than a moderate period pain for her - and they do apply numbing gel. You just need to be prepared for the fact that you might be one of the unlucky ones. Taking painkillers before having it done can help.

As for afterwards, it can be uncomfortable and you will probably get some light bleeding for a few days. Your stomach may be a bit swollen too.

Your boyfriend shouldn't be able to feel anything. They leave the thread hanging out, and it is quite thick nylon, almost like a wire. You have to check it once a month to see it is still there. Some men can feel it, some can't, and those that can occasionally feel it only do so occasionally. My current boyfriend can't feel mine at all and never has, but my ex got stabbed by the end of the thread a couple of times, which did cause him to lose his erection pretty fast! TBH I think it depends on the position of your cervix - dependent upon arousal and the time of the month - and the size of your boyfriend. My ex was larger than average, which could have contributed to his being able to feel it. However, it only happened twice out of many times so I don't think it should be an issue. If it is, they CAN cut the thread really short, the disadvantage of that is that you might not be able to check if your IUD is still in place.

I love my IUD, because I don't have to take hormones, I don't have to worry about taking the pill and I know it is very effective. It has actually made my periods LESS painful - I used to get low, cervical pains and I never get these anymore. The only difference it has made to me is that I get four days of spotting before the true start of my period, which I didn't before. So technically it has made my periods longer, but not heavier. I never get spotting in between periods.

As far as reliability goes, the Mirena hormonal coil is about 99% effective. The Gynefix copper (non hormonal) coil is 98-99% effective.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.