The Student Room Group

hi need help for applying to university

do we really have to apply to university or can we do it after our A Level results come

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you have to apply before your A2 results but after your AS results :smile:
Reply 2
hello

i live in Oman and i am doing my exams privately (i am actually a private candidate )
i am actually a Brit but studying here due to my dads job
so i want to ask a question that Does it matter to universities if i am studying privately and i don't go to the school
or do they have any objections or problems or something like that

thanks for reading :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 3
I also need help applying to a University. Btw how do you actually spell it? Is it applying (the way I always write) or is it appling?
Reply 4
You apply as an individual on UCAS and get one of your tutors to write you a reference. No problems at all.
A-p-p-l-y-i-n-g
Reply 6
You can apply after you get your full A level results = You'd be taking a gap year for a year and when you do apply to UCAS I think you would get unconditional offers because you already have the grades, unless you want to retake exams.
Applying before A2 has the advantage that you will be able to secure an offer for the following year and just save time, unless you really want a year off to clear your mind etc
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by bregaied
do we really have to apply to university or can we do it after our A Level results come

You don't HAVE to apply to university at all :smile: if you don't want to go, don't apply! But sure, there is the option of a gap year after your A2 Results, and you can apply then when you have your concrete grades: often universities actually like this, especially if you spend your gap year doing things useful to your chosen degree, as well as the fact that you don't have mere predictions but actual grades and can thus get unconditional offers instead. But you'd have to do more research into the universities you like to see their stance of things like gap years and grades :smile: good luck.
Reply 8
You don't 'have' to apply to university at any point!

You can leave it until after you have your A level results if you like - but if you want to go to university this year you will have more choice if you apply now. If you leave an application for this year until after your A level results are out, you will have to go through Clearing, when your choices will be much more limited.

If you want to apply after A level results for 2012 or later you are entirely free to do that -
Reply 9
Original post by Saiam
You can apply after you get your full A level results = You'd be taking a gap year for a year and when you do apply to UCAS I think you would get unconditional offers because you already have the grades, unless you want to retake exams.
Applying before A2 has the advantage that you will be able to secure an offer for the following year and just save time, unless you really want a year off to clear your mind etc

Even if one intends to take a gap year, the norm is to apply in Year 13 for deferred entry unless one is unsure of where to apply or has yet to decide on what to study (or there are other mitigating circumstances).
Reply 10
hello

i live in Oman and i am doing my exams privately (i am actually a private candidate )
so i want to ask a question that Does it matter to universities if i am studying privately and i don't go to the school

I'm sure universities won't mind, as long as you have grades to show for your study.
Reply 11
thank you very much for your answer
Reply 12
Original post by Makubex
I also need help applying to a University. Btw how do you actually spell it? Is it applying (the way I always write) or is it appling?

no bro it is applying i was just little careless
but thanks anyways
Reply 13
Original post by jthlm
I'm sure universities won't mind, as long as you have grades to show for your study.

thanks bro :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Minerva
You don't 'have' to apply to university at any point!

You can leave it until after you have your A level results if you like - but if you want to go to university this year you will have more choice if you apply now. If you leave an application for this year until after your A level results are out, you will have to go through Clearing, when your choices will be much more limited.

If you want to apply after A level results for 2012 or later you are entirely free to do that -

thank you really very much for your answer
i will be giving three A level exams all together that means like 16 to 18 exams
so i will apply to the university after my A level results come right?:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
You have to apply after your AS results come out..
YOu can apply after completing A2, but in that case you have to take a gap year and you have to mention your plans for your gap year in your PS... But the upside is that you will either get unconditional offers or get rejected.No conditional offers...
hello

Universities won't have a problem with that.. You just have to have the proper grades....

YOu have to apply as an individual through UCAS and you have to have a teacher upload your teacher's reference....
So much 'have' being thrown around...

The earliest you can apply is after your AS year, but before A2 (or equivalent in other qualifications); you can then apply any time after this.
Reply 18
If you don't want to go, then don't apply at all. If you don't know what you want to do, or aren't sure, or don't feel ready, then think hard about it. My college liked to push people into it because they liked to say that 90% of their students went to uni or whatever - with hindsight, I wish I'd left it for a bit.

As has been said previously, you can apply after your AS year and any time after that.
Reply 19
Ok cool...and abt the reference letter written by a teacher, do we need school teachers along with the school stamp and seal? Or will a reference letter written by a private tutor on a white paper works fine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending