Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could prove God, would you?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you could prove God, and not be against God, would you?

mother of the bride dress
    discount wedding dress
    mother of the groom dress

ReputationRep:
    No one would believe me!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of religion in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't. End of. The "God of the gaps" argument would always arise.

ReputationRep:
    Proof that god can't do "everything and anything".

Could god create an object so heavy/large that he himself could not lift?
    It's paradoxical.

ReputationRep:
    I would prove there isnt a god to sort out all the F-ing extremists. *****.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with proving God's existence is that it would completely undermine religion. Bit of a paradox. In Catholicism, or Christianity at least, believing is just that; I suppose they say seeing is believing, but in my opinion the act of believing is what He does to test those who are worthy or not. If everyone knew he definitely existed then praying would become worthless - loses all value as it would be a small price for those who just want a guaranteed ticket to Heaven.

There's no tribulation otherwise. Cannot find an appropriate noun.

ReputationRep:
    We can prove there is a God but its up to others to belive.

ReputationRep:
    God can move mountains and yes that has been prooved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venetta)
    God can move mountains and yes that has been prooved

*proved. And no it hasn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummi_bears)
    Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of religion in the first place?
    Totally right,my lady.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of religion is faith, that's because God can't be proved.
    But if He could be proved, surely you'd want to tell everyone!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Totally right,my lady.
    Why thank you, good sir

ReputationRep:
    I think this sums it up:

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything [babel fish] so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:
    `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
    `But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
    `Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Proof of god invalidates the blind faith that is a pre-requisite of all religions and paradoxically disproves the existence of god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12345hi)

It's paradoxical.
    One could say you're submitting human reasoning to something that man cannot possibly comprehend, and thus, no such paradox exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12345hi)

It's paradoxical.
    See Saichu's signature

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. I don't believe in god, let alone any proof, but if I could, certainly would.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of god threads popping out today...

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If I could prove it it would be the truth, and I don't think the truth should be withheld (or at least that particular truth)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I think this sums it up:

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything [babel fish] so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:
    `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
    `But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
    `Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Proof of god invalidates the blind faith that is a pre-requisite of all religions and paradoxically disproves the existence of god.
    You have a fine taste in literature

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.