Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

24 years old, feel guilty for wanting to go University! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I turn 24 in March next year, I did college from 16-19 doing ''art'' which I found out was more about the social aspect than a career.

I have since done the odd job and travelled for 6 months in Australia, I can't lie I have had quite a good time! but for the last 8 months I have been working in care and absolutely hate it.. I told my parents I have researched and want to go away to university and study Occupational Therapy. I have explained to them the NHS fund most of the course so I won't be in heavy debt etc.

But they keep saying I need to settle down and I would be 27/28 by the time I graduate, I can't keep 'dossing' etc.

I understand how they must feel, but even though it is selfish, I just want to enjoy my life? go University and make the most out of this short life I have? but I feel guilty that my dad has been working since 17 and I am just sponging.. although I pay rent I still feel maybe I am not doing the right thing, although in my head I know what I truly want.

I just want to hear opinions on if you think I would be wasting my time going back? am I too old? etc

All replies welcome

ReputationRep:
    It's never too old to get an education. In any case the field you are going to is quite forgiving if you aren't of the traditional age.

If it's what you want to do then go for it, but you should be going on a better reason rather than having a good time.

ReputationRep:
    24 isn't too old, you should go to uni if that's what you really want. It's YOUR life, not theirs.

listen my friend, education is the most powerful weapon. u are still young, so u must to go uni. by the way, many people they go to uni and they are 40 years old.

ReputationRep:
    Do it. My mum did Radiography when she was 40. My Dad was well stressed cos it meant his salary had to support my mum and feed two kids, but he could see that in the long run it would mean my mum had a job she liked and that was better paid than her previous job.

Also you could move to Australia on Occupational Therapy

ReputationRep:
    'It's better to regret doing something than regret not doing something'

ReputationRep:
    Do it.
    Its gonna help you sometime in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it......your life, your choice.....be the best that you can be and not settle for anything less than great

ReputationRep:
    If it's what you want to do mate GO FOR IT. Regardless of what anyone else says.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as people have said, you are never too old, and you should do what makes you happy and something that you think will enhance your career. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreuk)
    Hey everyone,

I turn 24 in March next year, I did college from 16-19 doing ''art'' which I found out was more about the social aspect than a career.

I have since done the odd job and travelled for 6 months in Australia, I can't lie I have had quite a good time! but for the last 8 months I have been working in care and absolutely hate it.. I told my parents I have researched and want to go away to university and study Occupational Therapy. I have explained to them the NHS fund most of the course so I won't be in heavy debt etc.

But they keep saying I need to settle down and I would be 27/28 by the time I graduate, I can't keep 'dossing' etc.

I understand how they must feel, but even though it is selfish, I just want to enjoy my life? go University and make the most out of this short life I have? but I feel guilty that my dad has been working since 17 and I am just sponging.. although I pay rent I still feel maybe I am not doing the right thing, although in my head I know what I truly want.

I just want to hear opinions on if you think I would be wasting my time going back? am I too old? etc

All replies welcome
    Never feel guilty for wanting to improve your culture and to get a better future. I know of people who got a degree at over 70!

Here there is not much to say: if you are passionate about that subject, go for it and do your best!

You have all my solidarity and moral support

ReputationRep:
    My father's fifty-two and hopes to be going to university to get qualified for a job that he'll be in for ten years, maximum.

You're only twenty-four; you'll be working in your late twenties, and still have another thirty or forty years of work after that. Make them good ones.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

All replies welcome
    It's not too late at all, going into OT will start you off on a decent salary. You've had your fun and seem to have enjoyed yourself which is really great. You haven't dossed around with a first degree and then come back wanting more funding from the govt.

Travelling is something I should have done before my first degree or straight after.

ReputationRep:
    I went back to uni at 23 sod them! Go, if you want to. I think as you're older you will have more life experience.

ReputationRep:
    go for it. im 25 next month going uni in sept. my dad gave me hell for it sayin you need a job how will u support yourself bllah blah blah but i told him its my life, my choice and if it all goes tits up my problem. he is coming round a bit now

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

All replies welcome
    pfftt cba to read all this.

one tip from me: If you shorten your posts, people are more likely to read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP1989)
    24 isn't too old, you should go to uni if that's what you really want. It's YOUR life, not theirs.
    this

ReputationRep:
    Mature students are... *******.... weird.

Edit: You know it's true.

ReputationRep:
    Do it.

I ignored my mum when she used to say things like that, I am now in my third year of a law degree! Who cares - they can't stop you, even though they might try. And if you have your own money saved, move into a student house, prove that you are working really hard and improving your future, they will soon change their mind, believe me - now my mum is always saying 'oh you have done so well', 'oh you are going to be a lawyer, thats fantastic!', 'you are going to ahve so much money' etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.