Central Concepts Biology Unit 4 OCR Watch

This discussion is closed.
cipapfatso
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How'd you guys find the paper? I thought it was an ok paper I just didn't have enough time to answer all the questions properly. This is the first time I haven't been able to finish a paper in time.

The actual questions were quite good though.

Here's hoping it went well.
sex_on_legs
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cipapfatso)
How'd you guys find the paper? I thought it was an ok paper I just didn't have enough time to answer all the questions properly. This is the first time I haven't been able to finish a paper in time.

oh my god! it was so hard!
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

no the questions weren't good at all - nothing on genetics, is the world coming to an end? and what was the first question about? glass beads? hmm
ThunderCat8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey! Just found this thread after making my own one! I'm so daft!! Anyway, I really hated this exam! The best question was the one about neurones and myelin sheaths etc. That one I think I did really well, but the whole Lac Operon question mystified me!!

Oh yea, did anyone put Allopatric Speciation for the mice question? I put that in at the end when i suddenly had a brain wave, but have no idea if it is right!

Glad the exam is over, but I'll probably have to retake in June! I need a B in biology, so if I get a D or E or a U (god forbid!) I will retake. Lets hope not though!!
cipapfatso
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
no the questions weren't good at all - nothing on genetics, is the world coming to an end? and what was the first question about? glass beads? hmm
Glass beads were control experiment to ensure experiment was accurate and not subject to mutliple variables such as pressure.

Lac operon is genetics. Just not a genetic cross question :/
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i hated the lac opern thingy, made it all up.

everything else was ok.......but 13 marks off one question...makes me wonder how badly i done. i need an A!!!!!!
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Glass beads were control experiment to ensure experiment was accurate and not subject to mutliple variables such as pressure.

Lac operon is genetics. Just not a genetic cross question :/
oh dear...i said something like...they were a control group, to compare the against the maggots/worms or whatever they were. I know lac operon is genetics, but it's only a very small part, that hardly one would think would appear in an exam question. Where were the chi-square, meiosis, dihybrid crosses, sex linkages etc...!!!
D.O.A
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont think I did two badly, altho I was getting worried coz I have a bio/comp clash, so i had to do computing straight after.

The actual exam I thought was okay, I could of done worse
cipapfatso
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
oh dear...i said something like...they were a control group, to compare the against the maggots/worms or whatever they were. I know lac operon is genetics, but it's only a very small part, that hardly one would think would appear in an exam question. Where were the chi-square, meiosis, dihybrid crosses, sex linkages etc...!!!
I think so long as you said it was a control group thats what they wanted. As for the crosses, well there was quite a big one in June 2003 so its unlikely they'd be that nice...:/
kingpong
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
i hated the lac opern thingy, made it all up.

everything else was ok.......but 13 marks off one question...makes me wonder how badly i done. i need an A!!!!!!
Likewise, the lac operon question ****ed me over so bad. Which is such a pain since I knew it was my weakest point, and for some stupid reason decided not to do some last minute revision on it. Frustration indeed.

The paper was awful, pretty much nothing on the usual easys. Whoever said about allopatric speciation, that's what I put, I'm pretty sure it's right.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OMG WHAT ON EARTH IS A LAC OPERON! i thought the paper was okay, I could do all the questions but i have NEVER seen a lac operon in my life! after talking to me teach aparantly they did it in 1/2 a lesson whilst i was at my ox interview, when i was told they would jus be doing past papers! i couldnt even blag coz i had never even heard of it before! so thats a whole 13 mk Q down the drain! im NEVER going to get an A now!
FunkyTeenAngel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i thuoght the lac operon Q was the best, cos i revised hard for it cos i thoughta thought it wld come up.
i hated the photosynthesis Q the most
and yeh i wrote allopatric speciation too.
and i agree wth the 1st post- it was the first bio paper i had to rush. i was takin my time till bout Q3 then i realised i didnt have much bloody time left so it was panic stations all ova. to be honest i wasnt really bothered for the exam. id been revisin it for months that iwas so sick of it. i really need an A though. speshly after i messed up my chem test today
smatti
Report 16 years ago
hey, i found the paper ok, could have been a lot worse! instead of going into detail, just wondering did everyone revise from the OCR revison guide by Henimans? i actually found the Biology 2 most helpful, however it did not have much on the lac operon, so i dont know how much detail was needed!

should'nt stress over it still have time to resist in june! thats the way i see it!
FunkyTeenAngel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by smatti)
hey, i found the paper ok, could have been a lot worse! instead of going into detail, just wondering did everyone revise from the OCR revison guide by Henimans? i actually found the Biology 2 most helpful, however it did not have much on the lac operon, so i dont know how much detail was needed!

should'nt stress over it still have time to resist in june! thats the way i see it!
i use both the OCR revision guide AND the biology 2 cos both by themself arent 100% useful cos they miss things out ya no? guess its a marketing ploy to get us to buy both
SVSV
Report 16 years ago
I found it ok, I got all the marks on the lac operon coz I worked reli hard on it, but missed a few marks coz I didnt have time to go tho all my answers, the main mistake for me was on ultrafiltration, but we can lose quite a few marks and still get an A, so it should be ok.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (154)
60.87%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.35%
No- I want it (71)
28.06%
No- I don't want it (17)