Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering if a MBA is a must-have to get into Research Associate positions at a BB IB (London), especially in my specific situation.
    In my home country (Germany) a Master of Science is more common than an MBA.

my academic background (at leading German Universities):
    • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (focus Finance, Accounting, Quantitative Methodes)
    • Master of Finance
    • currently preparing for CFA Level I (June 2011)

professional experience (at one of the five largest German banks):
    • training as certified bank officer [full-time, two years - it's a typical German certificate]
    • Trainee Capital Markets & Investment Banking [part-time (50%), three years during my Bachelor, focus: staff division IB&CM, Fixed Income Capital Markets, Equity Research]
    • Junior Equity Researcher (Life Science/Healthcare) [part-time (50%), during my Master of Finance, one and a half years]

To point out: In my opinion, this is sufficient experience to start as Associate. I'm not interested to be an Analyst for three years after several years of professional experience. Further more, I'm "already" 27 years old...
    What about the missing MBA ("only" Master of Finance)?

Thank you
    Rudi

No, it is not essential to have a MBA.

But I don't think you've got the chops behind you for associate entry either.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by President_Ben)
      No, it is not essential to have a MBA.

But I don't think you've got the chops behind you for associate entry either.
      So, what's your advice?
      Trying to start as Analyst in London? Or getting one/two years full-time experience in my current position (Junior Equity Researcher) before applying for Associate positions?

ReputationRep:
      You can start as an analyst in Research, show what you're worth and become an associate after ~2 years

ReputationRep:
      You've only worked full-time for 2 years(?)... you probably couldn't get into a top MBA school. Your best bet is most likely the entry level position (or keep with your work)

(Original post by Rudi Carell)
        So, what's your advice?
        Trying to start as Analyst in London? Or getting one/two years full-time experience in my current position (Junior Equity Researcher) before applying for Associate positions?
        Might get lucky enough to slide into a non-graduate analyst position. Hit linkedin and hit it hard...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by President_Ben)
        a non-graduate analyst position
        This is what you should be aiming for.

If somehow you haven't made any contacts so far in your professional career that could recommend a position for you, start sending your CV/cover out to recruitment agencies in London.

Doing an MBA to get to the relatively lowly position of sell-side research associate seems a bit over the top, just do a year or two more as an analyst.

ReputationRep:
        I don't think its unheared of of peopel moving directly into an associate role after uni, given exceptional part time work experience.
        Sounds like you were with Coba?

Check efinancialcareers.co.uk lots of opportuities in ER for people with some experience. And check for more epecialized shops, e.g. Exane

ReputationRep:
        Thanks for your clear advice!

Probably I'll try a shot at Associate positions when I've worked for one year more and got CFA Level I+II.
        If it doesn't work, the chances at my current bank will be better than starting as an Analyst at a BB IB again...

@KLL:
        Good guess, right direction, but not completely correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.