The Student Room Group

Biolgy question

Whole milk
3.4 g/100g of protein
3.9 g/100g of fat

Skimmed milk
3.5 g/100g of protein
0.1 g/100g of fat

Using information above explain why a person with a damagged live might be recomended to drink skimmed milk rather than whole milk

Here is the mark-scheme answer. The problem is I don't understand how it relates to the question. please help

very little fat in skimmed milk;
reduced/no bile secretion;
fat emulsification reduced/description;
(duodenum) remains acidic/not neutralised/no alkaline secretion;
lipase activity reduced/less efficient/less SA for lipase to work on;
cholesterol
harder to absorb/digest
Reply 2
Firstly when I look at this data and compare them, you can see that the level of proteins in each type of milk is the same, and clearly there is a difference between the amount of fat in the 2 milk types.

I've forgotten how fat relates to cholesterol levels and liver. But I'm sure if you just read a page out of the book you'll fully understand how to answer this question.
Reply 3
Dude, it's biology, with an O :tongue:
And tbh I have no idea whats that about, but good luck to you!
Original post by jsmith6131
Whole milk
3.4 g/100g of protein
3.9 g/100g of fat

Skimmed milk
3.5 g/100g of protein
0.1 g/100g of fat

Using information above explain why a person with a damagged live might be recomended to drink skimmed milk rather than whole milk

Here is the mark-scheme answer. The problem is I don't understand how it relates to the question. please help

very little fat in skimmed milk;
reduced/no bile secretion;
fat emulsification reduced/description;
(duodenum) remains acidic/not neutralised/no alkaline secretion;
lipase activity reduced/less efficient/less SA for lipase to work on;

The liver produces bile, which emulsifies fat into small droplets, which means the lipase enzymes have a larger surface area to work on and digest the fats quicker and more efficiently. So if the liver is not functioning properly, bile won't be produced, and fat will thus be harder to digest! :smile:
Another function of bile is to neutralise the HCl from the stomach as it is alkaline.
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending