Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do guys here have any close female friends? Watch

I don't have any close female friends, mainly because I don't think you can have a proper friendship with them like you do with guys. However, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake as good things might come out of it like getting introduced to other girls through girl mates.
    What is the general opinion on this?

Also keep anon or delete as I know people on here.

ReputationRep:
    nope. sooner or later you will fall for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't have any close female friends, mainly because I don't think you can have a proper friendship with them like you do with guys. However, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake as good things might come out of it like getting introduced to other girls through girl mates.
    You know what they say; a girl and guy can never be friends There's always a chance friendship will one day turn into something more..

That said, I think you're right when you say good things might come out of it..give it a shot, i say

ReputationRep:
    Before uni i think all my close girl friends were girls who i had originally fancied. But erm, i have two really close female friends who im closer to than any guys, its easier to talk to them about stuff a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    You are making a mistake. And it's a bit silly that you think you can't have a real friendship with a girl. My closest friend at uni is a girl. She has a boyfriend so we can't be more than friends but even if she didn't I'm pretty sure we'd still be just good friends.

And yeah, you can meet other girls through your female friends.

So get yourself some girl mates.

ReputationRep:
    There's a girl I'm pretty good friends with. Well, I haven't actually seen her in over a year, but she's the only friend from uni I've kept in regular contact with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My best friend is female. It's a nice change and helps add a new perspective to things. The friendship is different obviously, but that's mainly because I don't do the same things with her as I do with my mates.

ReputationRep:
    Only because I fancied them at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do. And no, it's not the same as being "with the guys". For example, getting stoned with her is hella different to getting stoned with the guys, as is drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Half of my best friends are girls. Depending on what I need to talk about, I feel more comfortable with one or another, and, for example, for the most sexual concerns and stuff, the one I usually talk to is a girl (and v.v., she tells me things that would make people blush).
    A guy and a girl can actually be friends. One of my best friends, she's really hot, and pretty much all guys want to have something with her. I don't, mainly because she is my friend and I can't see her that way.
    Perhaps there is some sexual tension with a good friend of the opposite sex, I won't deny it, but the friendship is usually more important than that.

I get really mad at people saying that boys and girls can't be friends. They can, but some people don't seem to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do, it is possible and healthy to have close female friendships.

You get a different type of chat with girls than you do with other guys so its good to have some variety, although you need to make sure she knows you're not just another girl, you don't want them to be going on about some guy in their lives, or even worse, moaning about their *****y issues with another girl, I find (no offence girls) that girls tend to whine and complain about stuff so don't indulge them on this and they will learn to keep that chat for other girls and have other chat with you. In the end girls will respect the option of having a male friend who isn't trying to be another girl to them, so they don't have the political issues of worrying whose side they are on in a particular ***** dispute etc.

As has been pointed out it is a very good way of meeting girls, because if you get invited to a social event and meet their friends, they will talk to you because you've been 'vetted' by their friend so they aren't automatically assuming you're a creepy random. If you can create a good impression with your female friend then you may have been talked up in a good light, I remember my ex telling me that she was already a bit excited about meeting me before she met me because the mutual friend who introduced us had talked me up a bit.

I have one female friend who I have always quite fancied and those feelings never fully go away, nothing has ever happened between us, we get on well but I make sure that I keep a little distance with her ie we write each other messages through facebook and every couple of months meet up, sometimes I tag along to her social events, but I couldn't be doing with seeing her all the time because if I spend significant time with her I start liking her and it becomes more of an issue. But when the contact is a bit less frequent it's easier to manage.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is a girl, I used to see her but that couldn't be further from the point :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have a load of close male friends and it isn't weird at all. True, at some points I think I may have feelings for one of them, but I would only think of them as a friend if I even thought of having a relationship with them. It's actually better having a mixture of friends as well because sometimes talking openly is easier with the opposite sex, and isn't just the typical matcho/gossiping conversations you'd have with the same sex. One of my best friends are male and I love how easy it is to be myself around him.

ReputationRep:
    I do, but they're all dead. Don't ask me how it happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Yes I do, it is possible and healthy to have close female friendships.

You get a different type of chat with girls than you do with other guys so its good to have some variety, although you need to make sure she knows you're not just another girl, you don't want them to be going on about some guy in their lives, or even worse, moaning about their *****y issues with another girl, I find (no offence girls) that girls tend to whine and complain about stuff so don't indulge them on this and they will learn to keep that chat for other girls and have other chat with you. In the end girls will respect the option of having a male friend who isn't trying to be another girl to them, so they don't have the political issues of worrying whose side they are on in a particular ***** dispute etc.

As has been pointed out it is a very good way of meeting girls, because if you get invited to a social event and meet their friends, they will talk to you because you've been 'vetted' by their friend so they aren't automatically assuming you're a creepy random. If you can create a good impression with your female friend then you may have been talked up in a good light, I remember my ex telling me that she was already a bit excited about meeting me before she met me because the mutual friend who introduced us had talked me up a bit.

I have one female friend who I have always quite fancied and those feelings never fully go away, nothing has ever happened between us, we get on well but I make sure that I keep a little distance with her ie we write each other messages through facebook and every couple of months meet up, sometimes I tag along to her social events, but I couldn't be doing with seeing her all the time because if I spend significant time with her I start liking her and it becomes more of an issue. But when the contact is a bit less frequent it's easier to manage.
    Yuss! Girls have got a lot to bring to friendships with males . It's the same for girls really. I love the fact I don't get a gossip/*****ing conversation...it's more indepth like films, music taste, politics, life etc, where I feel it's lacking in my friendships with many of my girls friends.

Also, why are you holding yourself back from this girl? You shouldn't deny your feelings because you could potentially end up in a brilliant relationship with her.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I do. I find it weird how people say they can't have a platonic relationship with someone of the opposite sex...

ReputationRep:
    My friends have always been guys. Its no use trying to imply there's some underlying sexual tension because its been that was since I was a very young child. When I was 7 years old my best friends were male, as a child I got on better with male cousins. I find it stupid when people say "ooh it'll just end up as a relationship" because they're so unbelievably myopic to deny that some people just get on better with the opposite sex.

Frankly, I find it difficult to find girls that want to spend a night drinking beer, eating pizza and playing call of duty or stay up til 5am playing fallout or diablo, I find it hard to talk to a girl without the conversation inevitably drifting to gossip, other peoples sex lives and clothes, I find it hard to relax in front of girls with no makeup on because they'll most often be wearing it regardless, I find it hard to find other girls who are into Css programming, I find it hard to talk to girls about internet memes and asian horror.

Not that girls like that don't exist, just they're far more rare!!

ReputationRep:
    Never make friends with just one girl....you'll fall badly for her at some point, and friendships which turn into relationships, generally tend to screw up the entire thing. I do have a couple of girl mates. There are times when I start having feelings for one of them, so i just tend to make my distance from them for a couple of days/weeks. I know its mean to do that but i cant risk losing my friendship, they're like a family to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    I'd say about 75% of my friends were female, although at both my school and sixth form girls out numbered guys by quite a large margin so it is probably just an effect of environment
    Same here.

There were only three guys in my sixth form class, including myself.

As a result, most of my friends are female.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.